Questions About Spatial Orientation of Event w/ Respect to LIGO

In summary: This is why two detectors are needed in order to pinpoint the location of the source. Additionally, the curvature of the earth might have some small effect on the timing of the signal, but I don't think this has been looked at in detail.
Raffer
I didn't see these areas addressed, my apologies if I missed them.

If there was no delay in the detection of the signals at the two sites, would that mean that the location of the event was 'directly overhead' or 'directly below'?

Was the delay, compared to the speed of light and distance between the sites, indicative of the angle the the event was off center from a line connecting the two sites? Would a very small delay suggest a very wide angle over which the the event could have originated.

Also, what can be inferred about the orientation of the plane of the two BHs as they approached each other, with respect to the earth? Was it a static plane as shown in the simulations, or one that had other rotational components with respect to the earth? Is visualizing it as a plane even accurate?

If the rotation of the two BHs as they approached each other were in fact in a plane and we were looking at the rotational plane from 'directly above' rather than on edge, how would that affect the amplitude of the GW? Would we see it at all? Would either of the sites be able to detect an event from a plane 'parallel' to the plane of the site? or an event in the same plane as the mirror(s)?

One last question, how does the fact that the two sites are presumably not oriented in the same plane (curvature of the earth) impact the observations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raffer:

Here are some quotes from LIGO threads that I think answer some of your questions.

#144 in https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/advanced-ligo-detection.836670/page-8
The speed of gravity has to be less than the distance between Richland and Livingston, which is about 1850 miles, divided by the difference in time, which is less than 10 ms. So that gives as a ballpark estimate of within a factor of a few of 185,000 miles per second.​

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/advanced-ligo-detection.836670/page-6#post-5374892
From http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
With only two detectors the source position is primarily determined by the relative arrival Time and localized to an area of approximately 600 deg2 (90% credible region).
z = 0.09+0.03-0.04.
If my math is OK, this means that the source can be located with 90% confidence to a region of the sky with an angular diameter of about 14 deg. Combining that with the z value, how many galaxies are candidates for the source?[/SUP]​

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/dispersion-of-gravitational-waves.856797/#post-5376832
@Buzz Bloom: that localization assumed light-speed propagation.​

Regards,
Buzz

Raffer said:
If there was no delay in the detection of the signals at the two sites, would that mean that the location of the event was 'directly overhead' or 'directly below'?

Was the delay, compared to the speed of light and distance between the sites, indicative of the angle the the event was off center from a line connecting the two sites? Would a very small delay suggest a very wide angle over which the the event could have originated.

I think your question was answered to some extent in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ligo-and-speed-of-propagation-of-gravity.856953/

Raffer said:
Also, what can be inferred about the orientation of the plane of the two BHs as they approached each other, with respect to the earth? Was it a static plane as shown in the simulations, or one that had other rotational components with respect to the earth? Is visualizing it as a plane even accurate?

In your second sentence, it's not clear to me why you use "static plane" in contradistinction to "had other rotational components with respect to the earth."

IIRC Kip Thorne discussed this briefly at the press conference while presenting one of the animations. The black holes each had their own angular momentum, and that angular momentum was interchanged with orbital angular momentum, causing wobbles in the motion that were visually obvious in the animation.

Gravitational waves are transverse, and they have a polarization that I believe these detectors were sensitive to. I think this polarization probably does tell us something about the orientation of the stars' orbits, but I haven't seen any details on that, and it didn't seem to be discussed at all in the paper, which was a short letter.

Raffer said:
If the rotation of the two BHs as they approached each other were in fact in a plane and we were looking at the rotational plane from 'directly above' rather than on edge, how would that affect the amplitude of the GW? Would we see it at all? Would either of the sites be able to detect an event from a plane 'parallel' to the plane of the site? or an event in the same plane as the mirror(s)?
Gravitational waves are quadrupole in nature, so they should have a quadrupole radiation pattern, which I believe would have two polar lobes and one equatorial "doughnut" lobe. Zero intensity would occur at some angle ca. 45 degrees.

Raffer said:
One last question, how does the fact that the two sites are presumably not oriented in the same plane (curvature of the earth) impact the observations?
I believe the arms of the two interferometers are also not oriented the same way. Each interferometer will have some sensitivity that depends on both the direction of propagation of the wave and its polarization.

What is LIGO and why is it important?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory and it is a scientific collaboration that operates gravitational wave detectors. It is important because it allows us to detect and study gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by some of the most violent and energetic events in the universe.

How does LIGO measure the spatial orientation of an event?

LIGO uses a technique called interferometry, where two laser beams are sent down perpendicular arms that are several kilometers long. When a gravitational wave passes through, it causes a slight change in the length of the arms, which can be measured by comparing the two laser beams. This allows LIGO to determine the direction and distance of the event.

Can LIGO detect events from all directions?

Yes, LIGO is designed to be sensitive to gravitational waves coming from any direction in the sky. However, it is more sensitive to waves coming from certain angles, depending on the orientation of the detector.

How accurate is LIGO in measuring the spatial orientation of an event?

LIGO is extremely accurate in measuring the spatial orientation of an event. It can determine the direction of a gravitational wave source to within a few degrees, and the distance to within a few percent of its true value.

What types of events can LIGO detect and locate?

LIGO can detect and locate a variety of events, including mergers of black holes and neutron stars, supernova explosions, and potentially even the Big Bang itself. As long as the event produces gravitational waves, LIGO has the potential to detect and locate it.