1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions related to Fourier Analysis

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    Dear all

I have recently taken up the study of Fourier analysis. My background knowledge is limited - some basic notions of analysis, including the Riemann integral, as well as uniform and pointwise convergence of series of functions. These are not exactly homework problems, but questions that I have been thinking about during the course of my self-study - and to which I have so far not found any satisfactory answers. I would gladly appreciate any help rendered.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Is it true that, if [tex]0 < \theta _0 < \pi[/tex], then [tex]|\sin n\theta _0|[/tex] diverges as [tex]n[/tex] tends to infinity? If so, how should we prove it generally?

2. Suppose that the Fourier series of a continuous function [tex]f(x)[/tex] converges pointwise at [tex]x=x_0[/tex]. Is it necessarily true that [tex]\sum_{i=-\infty}^\infty \hat{f} (n) e^{in x_0} = f(x_0)[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. This seems much easier to prove for individual values of [tex]\theta _0[/tex], but I find it difficult to extend the argument to a general case. I could, however, prove that the value of [tex]|\sin \theta _0|[/tex] does not approach 0: we may show that there exists a [tex]c > 0[/tex] such that there are arbitrarily large values of [tex]n[/tex] satisfying [tex]|\sin n \theta _0| > c > 0.[/tex] Choose [tex]c[/tex] less than [tex]\frac{1}{2}r[/tex] by a very small amount, where [tex]k[/tex] is the largest positive integer satisfying [tex]\pi = k \theta _0 + r[/tex] with [tex]r > 0[/tex]. If, then, [tex]|\sin p \theta _0| \leq c[/tex], it follows that [tex]|\sin (p+1) \theta _0| > c [/tex]. Extending this sort of argument seems more difficult.

2. I could think of a discontinuous function for which the statement is false: the sawtooth function defined by

[tex] f(x) = -\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{x}{2}[/tex] if [tex] -\pi < x \le 0 [/tex];

[tex] \frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{x}{2}[/tex] if [tex]0 < x < \pi[/tex].

In this case, while the Fourier series of f converges to 0 at [tex]x=0[/tex], the value of [tex]f(0)[/tex] is [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. I cannot, however, construct an example of a continuous function for which the statement is not true.

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?