1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Questions with factor rings

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    The first question is to find the ideals of R[x]/<x^2 - x>. I can see that the elements of the factor ring are of the form p(x) + <x^2 - x>, where p(x) is in R[x], which can be simplified to q(x)(x^2 - x) + r(x) + <x^2 - x> = r(x) + <x^2 - x>, where r(x) is of degree 1 or 0.

Now I'm pretty much stuck. Can we say anything more specific about r(x)? i.e. is it true that R[x]/<x^2 - x> = {ax + b + <x^2 - x> | a,b in R}? So now how do I find the ideals? It's easy to check if something's an ideal though.

My other question is to find the units in R = C[x,y]/<xy - 1>. So after writing out some definitions, this reduces to finding polynomials p(x,y) and q(x,y) not in <xy - 1>, such that p(x,y)q(x,y) = 1 (I think). So any element of C is a unit of R, what else is there? There may be some theorem that help simplify something. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right. Intuitively when you mod out by <x2-x> you're saying that x and x2 should be treated the same (because x2-x is now equal to zero). So given any polynomial, you can repeatedly apply this to reduce, for example x5 to x, or any other power of x.

Is R here a generic ring, or the real numbers?

You need p(x,y,)q(x,y)+<xy-1>=1+<xy-1> which is a bit different. For example, if p=x and q=y

(x+<xy-1>)(y+<xy-1>)=(xy+<xy-1>)=(1+<xy-1>)

so x and y are both units

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook