Queston about double glazing

• Thread starter samfoster
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of double glazing for soundproofing windows. It is mentioned that double glazing can muffle sound but will not completely eliminate it. The ideal distance between the two panes for soundproofing is larger than the distance for reducing heat loss. Triple glazing is also mentioned but it is noted that it is not the same as double glazing. The conversation also discusses the effectiveness of double glazing in reducing sound transmission, with some mentioning that it is commonly used in countries with cold climates. The conversation ends with a mention of a spam link and a joke about donuts.
samfoster
Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that double glazing is useful to make window sound proof. I have lost article... :(

Well, How do you soundproof a window by using <spam link removed>

Does anyone have any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
samfoster said:
Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that double glazing is useful to make window sound proof. I have lost article... :(

Well, How do you soundproof a window by using <link removed>?

Does anyone have any idea?
It does not sound proof the window. It will muffle the sound more than a single pane, but will not make the window zero-transmissive to sound waves. Please remember that a loud enough sound will go through a concrete wall...without any windows.

Are you building a recording studio?

Last edited by a moderator:
OTTOMH, doubling glazing is pretty effective for muffling sound, but the the optimum distance between the two glasses for sound muffling is much larger than the optimum distance for reducing heat loss. it's seems that there is also triple glazing.

How loud does it actually have to be to need sound proof windows?

Like, come on.

JasonRox said:
How loud does it actually have to be to need sound proof windows?

Like, come on.
That is why I asked if a recording studio is involved. This is the only reasoning I know of to need to soundproof an existing window. There are other ways to do it though.

Double-glazing and triple-glazing are used (often in cold climates) to reduce thermal losses through windows. They also damp sounds a bit, but that's not their primary purpose. If you wanted to make double-glazed windows that cut sound transmission, you probably would have to look into using panes of laminated glass/plastic, like the stuff used in car windows. That would help reduce sound conduction, and would also reduce resonances between the panes = reduced sound through window.

isly ilwott said:
That is why I asked if a recording studio is involved. This is the only reasoning I know of to need to soundproof an existing window. There are other ways to do it though.

Yeah, but then most people use basements and shove pillows in the small window slots of basement windows.

At one time I worked in a sound-proofed office that had a full wall of glass. The "secret" to it was simply that the glass was thick. You couldn't hear the debates going on inside that room but I'm sure you could have heard the gunshots. :eek:

Just to be clear. A double glazed window has two panes of glass (duh) separated by a small space. Triple is the same thing. Some even have the spaces filled with a rare gas.

A lot of them tend to leak at the seals. Moisture gets in and the windows will fog up in cold weather.

They are definitely quieter. The easiest way to get most of the advantages of double glazed windows is to install double glased windows from Home Depot right up against your existing windows.

Weather stripping and a few screws will do the job.

I did mine that way and it only cost about $900. Having a company install new multi-pane windows means tearing out the old ones and the price will run around $5,000 to $7,000 for the average house.

The disadvantage with the "storm window" approach is they have to be taken down to be washed, but with a good seal that will only be every 5 years or so.

edward said:
Just to be clear. A double glazed window has two panes of glass (duh) separated by a small space. Triple is the same thing.
actually its not the same thing. Triple has THREE panes of glass.

Gosh, folks, you need to get better spam detectors to avoid getting into a lengthy thread with a spammer. :rolleyes: Someone might actually find the rest of this discussion useful, so I'm leaving it open despite the spam link being deleted along with the spammer. :wink:

MB - they just doing 'add-on' posting I think - responding to the last post one or two panes above.. like I just did :smile:

turbo-1 said:
If you wanted to make double-glazed windows that cut sound transmission, you probably would have to look into using panes of laminated glass/plastic, like the stuff used in car windows.

There are many double glazed windows that are are good both for thermal insulation and some "sound proofing" (well, attenuation). They have been around for a long time in countries with cold climate(I am Swedish and we stopped using single glazed windows in Sweden some 50 years ago). I googled some Swedish sites and it seems a standard double glazed window will attenuate about 30 dB; if you use special "sound proofing glass" etc that can increase to over 50dB (used in cities etc).
I live in the UK now and have single glazed windows everywhere, and I can definitely notice the difference.

isly ilwott said:
It does not sound proof the window. It will muffle the sound more than a single pane, but will not make the window zero-transmissive to sound waves. Please remember that a loud enough sound will go through a concrete wall...without any windows.

Are you building a recording studio?

Moonbear said:
Gosh, folks, you need to get better spam detectors to avoid getting into a lengthy thread with a spammer. :rolleyes: Someone might actually find the rest of this discussion useful, so I'm leaving it open despite the spam link being deleted along with the spammer. :wink:

Do you mean the spam link that's in the above post?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I thought this was going to be about donuts :(

I was hoping so too. :biggrin:

rootX said:
Do you mean the spam link that's in the above post?

Oops! Thanks for the catch!

1. What is double glazing and how does it work?

Double glazing is a type of window where two panes of glass are separated by a small gap, creating a layer of insulation. This gap is typically filled with air or a gas like argon. The extra layer of glass and insulating gas helps to reduce heat loss and noise from the outside.

2. What are the benefits of double glazing?

Double glazing provides several benefits, including improved energy efficiency, reduced noise, and increased security. It can also help to reduce condensation on the inside of the windows, making them easier to clean and maintain.

3. How long does double glazing last?

The lifespan of double glazing can vary depending on the quality of the materials and installation. Generally, double glazing can last for 20-30 years or even longer with proper maintenance and care.

4. Can I retrofit my existing windows with double glazing?

Yes, it is possible to retrofit double glazing onto existing windows. However, it is important to consult with a professional to determine if your windows are suitable for this type of installation and to ensure it is done correctly.

5. How much does double glazing cost?

The cost of double glazing can vary depending on factors such as the size and type of windows, materials used, and installation fees. It is best to get quotes from multiple companies and compare prices to find the best option for your budget.