Queueing Models: Generator Matrix for M/M/2/2 & M/M/2/4

• I
  • Thread starter CTK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Models
In summary, the conversation discusses the generator matrix for a system with M/M/C/K distribution, specifically for the cases of M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding the canonical form of the generator matrix for M/M/2/2, and the problem of determining the expected time for the system to reach certain states. The conversation ends with a series of questions about the matrix and its rows.
CTK
TL;DR Summary
What is the generator matrix for the following two different Queueing models?
Hello there,

If we have M/M/C/K = M/M/2/2 (where note that the first M stands for memoryless arrival times for the packets (thus described by a Poisson process(lambda)), the second M stands for memoryless service times (i.e. described by an exponentially distributed(mu)), the number 2 for C means that there are two servers handling the packets and the number 2 for K is the maximum size of the queue, which is 2. Note that arrivals to a full queue are simply rejected.

What is the generator matrix (Q) for a system of M/M/2/2? What about for M/M/2/4?

My attempt: I know what is it for M/M/2/4 given that K > C (just included it to explain what I am exactly after), but is there any way to have a canonical form of the generator matrix for M/M/C/C such as M/M/2/2? Any help would be appreciate it.
Thanks for your help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
CTK said:
I know what is it for M/M/2/4.
Can you show what this is? I don't understand why you have a difficulty using the same logic for M/M/2/2.

pbuk said:
Can you show what this is? I don't understand why you have a difficulty using the same logic for M/M/2/2.
So for M/M/2/4 it is simply Erlang-C model because c is not equal to k (I have attached a picture of that, which is just from Wikipedia). But when we are dealing with M/M/2/2 then here c = k, so we are dealing with Erlang-B model, and I couldn't find anything about Erlang-B model's canonical form matrix anywhere. So any help would be appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2646).png
    Screenshot (2646).png
    4.5 KB · Views: 91
CTK said:
So for M/M/2/4 it is simply Erlang-C model because c is not equal to k (I have attached a picture of that, which is just from Wikipedia). But when we are dealing with M/M/2/2 then here c = k, so we are dealing with Erlang-B model, and I couldn't find anything about Erlang-B model's canonical form matrix anywhere. So any help would be appreciate it.
And just to give you more context. This is the problem that I am trying to solve:

A system comprises two single-server queues (X(t) : t ≥ 0) and (Y (t) : t ≥ 0), each with capacity K = 2 (i.e. the number of customers in each system is either 0, 1 or 2). Each queue has customers arriving according to a Poisson process with rate λ, independently of the other queue and of past history. When a queue is at full capacity, arrivals to that queue are turned away and do not return, and nor do they join the other queue. Service times are mutually independent within and between queues, and they are independent of the arrival processes and of past history. Service times for each queue are Exp(µ) random variables. The state of the system at time t is represented by the vector (X(t), Y (t)). Suppose that the queues are both at full capacity initially (i.e. X(0), Y (0) = (2, 2)).
We are interested in the expected time until either one of the two servers becomes idle: that is, the expected time until the system first reaches one of the states A = {(0, 0), (0, 1), (0, 2), (1, 0), (2, 0)}.
Also, label the states (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 1), (2, 2) as 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively.

(a) Determine ri , for each of the states i = 1, 2, 3, 4, and write down the matrix RA = (ri,j : i, j = 1, 2, 3, 4).

If you could help me with this one, then I would really appreciate it, because it is such a struggle, thanks.

• How many rows does the M/M/2/2 matrix have?
  • Do you think there is any reason the first, second and third rows should be different from the one in Wikipedia?
  • What do you think the last row should look like?

pbuk said:
  • How many rows does the M/M/2/2 matrix have?
  • Do you think there is any reason the first, second and third rows should be different from the one in Wikipedia?
  • What do you think the last row should look like?
1-) Would the matrix just be 4x4?
2-) In my opinion, all of the matrix in Wikipedia should still be exactly the same for all of the rows even if k = c, is that correct?
3-) I think it would still look like the same, am I right?

CTK said:
And just to give you more context. This is the problem that I am trying to solve:

A system comprises two single-server queues (X(t) : t ≥ 0) and (Y (t) : t ≥ 0), each with capacity K = 2 (i.e. the number of customers in each system is either 0, 1 or 2). Each queue has customers arriving according to a Poisson process with rate λ, independently of the other queue and of past history. When a queue is at full capacity, arrivals to that queue are turned away and do not return, and nor do they join the other queue. Service times are mutually independent within and between queues, and they are independent of the arrival processes and of past history. Service times for each queue are Exp(µ) random variables. The state of the system at time t is represented by the vector (X(t), Y (t)). Suppose that the queues are both at full capacity initially (i.e. X(0), Y (0) = (2, 2)).
We are interested in the expected time until either one of the two servers becomes idle: that is, the expected time until the system first reaches one of the states A = {(0, 0), (0, 1), (0, 2), (1, 0), (2, 0)}.
Also, label the states (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 1), (2, 2) as 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively.

(a) Determine ri , for each of the states i = 1, 2, 3, 4, and write down the matrix RA = (ri,j : i, j = 1, 2, 3, 4).

If you could help me with this one, then I would really appreciate it, because it is such a struggle, thanks.
Ok I think I am confusing myself here. Just to double check, is this problem about M/M/2/2 or M/M/2/4?

CTK said:
2-) In my opinion, all of the matrix in Wikipedia should still be exactly the same for all of the rows even if k = c, is that correct?
Edit: this is wrong, I will replace with another post.
1 - Yes
2 - The first two rows are the same, but the coefficient of 3 in the third row assumes 3 servers so cannot be right.
3 - Yes

Last edited:
CTK said:
Ok I think I am confusing myself here. Just to double check, is this problem about M/M/2/2 or M/M/2/4?
Neither. It is about two independent M/M/1/2 queues.

pbuk said:
1 - Yes
2 - The first two rows are the same, but the coefficient of 3 in the third row assumes 3 servers so cannot be right.
3 - Yes
2-) But the coefficient of 3 doesn't take place in the third row, but fourth row.

pbuk said:
Neither. It is about two independent M/M/1/2 queues.
oh ok! So how can I combine them both in one matrix then?

CTK said:
Sorry, I gave wrong answers to this before.
1-) No, there are five states (with ## {0, 1, 2, 3 \text{ or } 4} ## customers in the system).
2-) No, there are only ## c ## processors so the maximum coefficient of ## \mu ## appearing in the matrix must be ## c ##.
3-) Yes, the last row is the same.

CTK said:
oh ok! So how can I combine them both in one matrix then?
You can't, you need to work from first principles.

What is the transition rate from state 1 (1, 1) to state 2 (1, 2)?

Where did this question come from by the way?

Last edited:
pbuk said:

Sorry, I gave wrong answers to this before.
1-) No, there are five states (with ## {0, 1, 2, 3 \text{or} 4} ## customers in the system).
2-) No, there are only ## c ## processors so the maximum coefficient of ## \mu ## appearing in the matrix must be ## c ##.
3-) Yes, the last row is the same.You can't, you need to work from first principles.

What is the transition rate from state 1 (1, 1) to state 2 (1, 2)?

Where did this question come from by the way?
Thanks for the correction.
The question comes from one of my statistics and probability units from uni, it's about markov chains and processes.
So from (1,1) to (1,2), is it just \lambda?
And I will tell you for the rest and please let me know if I am wrong?
(1,1) to (2,1) is \lambda as well because we only have an increase of one customer?
(1,1) to (2,2) is 2\lambda because we have an increase of two customers?
(1,2) to (1,1) is \mu because it is the death (by death I mean has been served) of one customer?
(1,2) to (1,2) is zero?
(1,2) to (2,1) is \lambda * \mu?
(1,2) to (2,2) is \lambda?
(2,1) to (1,1) is \mu?
(2,1) to (1,2) is \mu * \lambda?
(2,1) to (2,2) is \lambda?
(2,2) to (1,1) is 2 * \mu?
(2,2) to (1,2) is \mu?
(2,2) to (2,1) = \mu?
(2,2) to (2,2) is just zero?

I would really appreciate it if you could check me and correct me if I am wrong?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
CTK said:
The question comes from one of my statistics and probability units from uni, it's about markov chains and processes.
Thanks for this information.

CTK said:
So from (1,1) to (1,2), is it lambda(mu + 2)?
Do you think it makes sense to multiply two rates together?

We are looking at the transition rate from state 1 (1, 1) to state 2 (1, 2): this is simply the rate of arrivals in queue 2 i.e. ## \lambda ##. So ## r_{1,2} = \lambda ##.

What about ## r_{1,3} ##?

And ## r_{1,4} ##?
Is it possible for people to arrive at two independent queues at exactly the same time?[/hint]

pbuk said:
Thanks for this information.Do you think it makes sense to multiply two rates together?

We are looking at the transition rate from state 1 (1, 1) to state 2 (1, 2): this is simply the rate of arrivals in queue 2 i.e. ## \lambda ##. So ## r_{1,2} = \lambda ##.

What about ## r_{1,3} ##?

And ## r_{1,4} ##?
Is it possible for people to arrive at two independent queues at exactly the same time?[/hint]
So the reason I was multiplying both rates is because for (1,1) to (1,2) we could have a scenario for server 1 to have served one customer and a new customer has come (so that's ## \mu * \lambda ##) and for server 2, we have one customer has arrived OR one customer has been served and 2 arrived (so that's 2 * ## \mu * \lambda ## + ## \lambda ##)...so ## r_{1,2} = (2 * \lambda * \mu) * (1+ \lambda) ##.
But it seems I have been thinking about it incorrectly.

So in this case, would we have the following scenarios:

## r_{1,1} = 0 ## because 2 things can't happen simultaneously\
## r_{1,2} = \lambda ##
## r_{1,3} = \lambda ##
## r_{1,4} = 0 ## because we can't have a situation where two customers arriving at two independent queues at exactly the same time

## r_{2,1} = \mu ##.
## r_{2,2} = 0 ##.
## r_{2,3} = \lambda * \mu ## because we have an increase in one server and a decrease in another server (or is it 0 because we can't have 1 customer being served in one server and another one just arrived at another server, both at the exact same time?)
## r_{2,4} = \lambda ##.

## r_{3,1} = \mu ##.
## r_{3,2} = 0 ## because 2 things can't happen simultaneously
## r_{3,3} = 0 ##
## r_{3,4} = \lambda ##.

## r_{4,1} = 0 ## because 2 things can't happen simultaneously
## r_{4,2} = \mu ##
## r_{4,3} = \mu ##
## r_{4,4} = 0 ##

Is that correct?

Likes pbuk
CTK said:
So in this case, would we have the following scenarios:
It's pretty close! I'll start at the end...

CTK said:
## r_{4,1} = 0 ## because 2 things can't happen simultaneously
## r_{4,2} = \mu ##
## r_{4,3} = \mu ##
All good, but ## r_{4,4} ## is not zero, it is the (negative) rate of transition from state 4 to other states so ## r_{4,4} = \Sigma_{j \ne 4} r_{4,j} = -2 \mu ##.

CTK said:
## r_{3,1} = \mu ##.
## r_{3,2} = 0 ## because 2 things can't happen simultaneously
## r_{3,3} = 0 ##
## r_{3,4} = \lambda ##.
Good except for ## r_{3,3} ## as above.

CTK said:
## r_{2,1} = \mu ##.
## r_{2,2} = 0 ##.
## r_{2,3} = \lambda * \mu ## because we have an increase in one server and a decrease in another server (or is it 0 because we can't have 1 customer being served in one server and another one just arrived at another server, both at the exact same time?)
## r_{2,4} = \lambda ##.
## r_{2,3} = 0 ## as per your second argument as for ## r_{3,2} ##. ## r_{2,2} ## again makes the row sum to zero.

CTK said:
## r_{1,2} = \lambda ##
## r_{1,3} = \lambda ##
## r_{1,4} = 0 ## because we can't have a situation where two customers arriving at two independent queues at exactly the same time
These are good, but ## r_{1,1} ## is troublesome. If we follow the rule that rows must sum to 0 then it should be ## -2 \lambda ##, but note that it is also possible to transition from (1,1) to (0,1) or (1,0), and I think you will have to take account of these as well in order to answer the rest of the question (I don't see how you can get the time to the first idle state otherwise).

Oh, I have seen a problem - it is also possible to transition from (1,2) (state 2) to (0,2) so perhaps ## r_{2,2} = -(\lambda + \mu) ##, and the same for ## r_{3,3} ##? This is not how transition matrices normally work (we normally include all states) so I think you will have to try this and see how it goes.

pbuk said:
It's pretty close! I'll start at the end...All good, but ## r_{4,4} ## is not zero, it is the (negative) rate of transition from state 4 to other states so ## r_{4,4} = \Sigma_{j \ne 4} r_{4,j} = -2 \mu ##.Good except for ## r_{3,3} ## as above.## r_{2,3} = 0 ## as per your second argument as for ## r_{3,2} ##. ## r_{2,2} ## again makes the row sum to zero.These are good, but ## r_{1,1} ## is troublesome. If we follow the rule that rows must sum to 0 then it should be ## -2 \lambda ##, but note that it is also possible to transition from (1,1) to (0,1) or (1,0), and I think you will have to take account of these as well in order to answer the rest of the question (I don't see how you can get the time to the first idle state otherwise).

Oh, I have seen a problem - it is also possible to transition from (1,2) (state 2) to (0,2) so perhaps ## r_{2,2} = -(\lambda + \mu) ##, and the same for ## r_{3,3} ##? This is not how transition matrices normally work (we normally include all states) so I think you will have to try this and see how it goes.

Firstly, thanks for your help, you are a very helpful person
Secondly, I think we don't need to worry about (1,0), etc. according to the question.
Thirdly, I think r{2,2} should be ## -(\lambda + \mu) ## anyway to make the row sum up to zero, even if there is no transition from (1,2) to (0,2).
Lastly, for ## r_{i} ##; where ## i = 1,2,3,4 ##, is it the following:

## r_{1} ## is a transition from (2,2) to (1,1), so it is equal to 0 because we can't have 2 things happening simultaneously in 2 different servers?
## r_{2} ## is a transition from (2,2) to (1,2), so it is equal to ## \mu ##?
## r_{3} ## is a transition from (2,2) to ( 2,1), so is it equal to ## \mu ## as well?
## r_{4} ## is a transition from (2,2) to (2,2), so is it equal to ## -2\mu ##?

Last edited:
Likes pbuk
CTK said:
Lastly, for ## r_{i} ##; where ## i = 1,2,3,4 ##, is it the following:

## r_{1} ## is a transition from (2,2) to (1,1), so it is equal to 0 because we can't have 2 things happening simultaneously in 2 different servers?
## r_{2} ## is a transition from (2,2) to (1,2), so it is equal to ## \mu ##?
## r_{3} ## is a transition from (2,2) to ( 2,1), so is it equal to ## \mu ## as well?
## r_{4} ## is a transition from (2,2) to (2,2), so is it equal to ## -2\mu ##?
I'm not sure what you mean by ## r_{i} ## but these entries are correct for ## r_{4,i} ##.

pbuk said:
I'm not sure what you mean by ## r_{i} ## but these entries are correct for ## r_{4,i} ##.
yeah it's for ## r_{4,i} ## cheers.

Likes pbuk

1. What is a queueing model?

A queueing model is a mathematical tool used to analyze the behavior and performance of systems where items arrive and are processed in a sequential manner. It is commonly used in fields such as operations research, computer science, and telecommunications.

2. What does M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 refer to in the context of queueing models?

M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 are notation used to describe specific queueing models. The first "M" stands for Markovian, which means that the arrival and service processes are memoryless. The second "M" indicates that the service time follows an exponential distribution. The numbers "2/2" and "2/4" refer to the number of servers and maximum capacity of the system, respectively.

3. How is the generator matrix used in M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 queueing models?

The generator matrix is a matrix that represents the transition rates between states in a queueing model. In M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 models, the matrix is used to calculate the steady-state probabilities of the system, which can then be used to analyze the performance metrics such as average waiting time and utilization.

4. What are the assumptions made in M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 queueing models?

The main assumptions in M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 queueing models include: 1) arrivals and service times are exponentially distributed, 2) the system operates in a steady state, 3) there is no balking or reneging (customers do not leave the system before being served), 4) there is no priority given to customers, and 5) the number of servers is fixed.

5. How can M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 queueing models be applied in real-world scenarios?

M/M/2/2 and M/M/2/4 queueing models can be used to analyze and optimize the performance of various systems, such as call centers, computer networks, and manufacturing processes. They can help determine the optimal number of servers and capacity of the system to minimize waiting times and maximize efficiency.