1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Queuing Theory problem, M/M/1/K queue with twist

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Customers arrive to a register as a poisson process with arrival rate λ and are serviced with an exponential distribution with service rate μ. When a customer arrives he'll decide to join the line or not depending on how many people are currently in the system (not including himself). In other words, if at a given time n people are in the system then a new customer will join the line with probability βn, and not join the line and not take the service with probability 1-βn. However, 0 ≤ βn ≤ 1 (0 ≤ n ≤ N), βn = 0 (n > N).

(1) Find the balance equation expressed with the balance probability state pn (where n is the number of customers in the system).

(2) Solve the equation in (1).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(1) So, my problem here is where the β will enter the problem. I'm thinking that the events "Customer stays" and "Customer arrives" are independent, resulting in the following:
    With this I would get:
    λ β0 p0 = μ p1
    λ βn pn + μ pn = μ pn+1 + λ βn-1/SUB] pn-1 for 1 ≤ n ≤ N-1
    λ βN-1 pN-1 = μ pN

Is this correct? If not, any hint?

(2) If the above is correct, how to solve it? Any hint is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted