Quick Acceleration Formula: Solving for Time, Distance, and Acceleration

In summary, The formula for solving for time when given acceleration and distance is d = Vi + \frac{1}{2}*a*t^2, where d is distance, Vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. If Vi is 0, the formula simplifies to d = \frac{1}{2}*a*t^2. When calculating for time, it is important to convert the distance into meters. However, at high speeds, relativistic effects must be taken into account and Newtonian physics no longer applies.
Kristopher
My physics is so rusty and I'm at work so I can't dig out my books but I have a quick question.

What is the formula to solve for time if one knows acceleration and distance?

Example: if one accelerates 10m/s/s for 1000km, how long does it take to cover the distance?

Anyone remember acceleration equations or have them handy?

Thanks

PS this isn't homework I'm trying to explain something to a co-worker and I'm just really rusty.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] d = Vi + \frac{1}{2}*a*t^2 [/tex]

However, in your case [tex] Vi = 0 [/tex]

imranq said:
[tex] d = Vi + \frac{1}{2}*a*t^2 [/tex]

However, in your case [tex] Vi = 0 [/tex]

That's not the right general formula! If in the initial problem the car starts from rest it will not matter (since vi=0 in this case), but the correct formula is [tex]d=v_it+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] Where d denotes the distance, vi the initial velocity, t the time, and a the acceleration. Note that you will need to convert the distance into metres.

Arg! I can't believe I forgot that, yeah it is Vi*t + .5at^2

My math is a little rusty too, but that would work out (since Vi is 0, Vi*t would equal 0) to be t= sqrt of 2d/a, yes??

Kristopher said:
My math is a little rusty too, but that would work out (since Vi is 0, Vi*t would equal 0) to be t= sqrt of 2d/a, yes??

Yes, that's correct.

So then if one were to create a thruster that could continually supply the force needed for 10m/s/s of acceleration or just over 1g. in 2 years one would have traveled 2.11 light years and have exceeded the speed of light... right?

ly=9,460,073,432,260,800 meters
multiply that by 2.11 (half the distance to alpha centauri)
d=19,960,754,942.070.288
a=10

work that out and t=63,183,471s which is about 2 years.

obviously if one travels 2.11 light years in 2 years, one exceeded the speed of light (it that is possible)

but if it is and if one could create some nuclear drive or other perpetual thruster, one could accelerate at just over 1g halfway to alpha centauri, turn around and decelerate at just over -1g, making it to alpha centauri, which is 4.22light years away, in 4 years with "gravity" the entire time except during the rotation.

Right?

One cannot exceed the speed of light. When traveling at large speeds, the equation I provided is no longer valid as one must take into account relativistic effects.

If Newtonian physics applied at these speeds, would my math be correct?

1. What is quick acceleration?

Quick acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity increases over time. It is a measure of how fast an object is speeding up.

2. How is quick acceleration calculated?

Quick acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = ∆v/∆t, where a is acceleration, ∆v is change in velocity, and ∆t is change in time.

3. What factors affect quick acceleration?

The factors that affect quick acceleration include the applied force, the mass of the object, and the frictional forces acting upon the object.

4. How is quick acceleration different from average acceleration?

Quick acceleration refers to the acceleration at a specific moment in time, while average acceleration is the overall acceleration over a period of time. Quick acceleration can vary throughout the motion of an object, while average acceleration remains constant.

5. Why is quick acceleration important in physics?

Quick acceleration is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how forces affect that motion. It also allows us to predict the future position and velocity of an object based on its current acceleration.