How can I solve for t using the complete the square method?

• Thread starter jazduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, to solve the equation t^2+t=5.1, you can use the ABC-formula or complete the square method. The ABC-formula is x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the equation ax^2+bx+c=0. Alternatively, you can complete the square by adding 1/4 to both sides of the equation and taking the square root of both sides.
jazduck
I have an equation which I ended up with as t^2 + t = 5.1

How do I then solve for t (without just plugging it into solve on the calculator)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This should be in the homework section. You can solve it by using the ABC-formula.

Cyosis - The question is not homework so I put it in general math. The actual question I'm trying is one on the initial velocity of an object required to catch another object released a second before it over a 50m displacement. Not that hard if I make my calculator solve it, just making a mess of the algebra because I havn't done it in 8 years.

Anyway will look up the ABC rule.

The solution to an equation of the form [itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex] is given by [itex]x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]. To make use of this formula you will have to write [itex]t^2+t=5.1[/itex] as [itex]t^2+t-5.1=0[/itex].

Alternatively, you could "complete the square".

For any number, a,
[tex](t- a)^2= t^2- 2at+ a^2[/tex]
You have [itex]t^2+ t= 5.1[/itex] which will match the first two terms of that if 2at= t or a= 1/2. In that case [itex]a^2= 1/4[/itex] so adding 1/4 to both sides of the equation: [itex]t^2+ t+ 1/4= 5.1+ 1/4= 5.1+ .25= 5.35[/itex]

Now that the left side is a "perfect square" you have [itex](t+ 1/2)^2= 5.35[/itex] and you can solve that by taking the square root of both sides (remembering that the result can be either positive or negative).

1. How do you solve t in the equation t^2 + t = 5.1?

To solve for t in this equation, we need to use the quadratic formula. First, we rearrange the equation to t^2 + t - 5.1 = 0. Then, we plug in the values of a=1, b=1, and c=-5.1 into the formula: t = (-1 ± √(1^2 - 4(1)(-5.1))) / 2(1). This results in two solutions: t = 1.9 or t = -2.9.

2. Can we use any other method to solve for t in this equation?

Yes, we can also use factoring to solve for t. In this case, we would need to find two numbers that multiply to -5.1 and add to 1. Using trial and error, we can find that 5.1 and -1 work, so we can rewrite the equation as (t+5.1)(t-1) = 0. This means that either t+5.1 = 0 or t-1 = 0, resulting in the same solutions as using the quadratic formula.

3. What does the solution to this equation represent?

The solutions to this equation represent the values of t that make the equation true. In other words, when we plug in either t = 1.9 or t = -2.9 into the original equation, it will equal 5.1.

4. Can this equation have more than two solutions?

No, since this is a quadratic equation, it can only have at most two solutions. This is because a quadratic equation is a polynomial of degree 2, meaning it has only two terms with variables raised to the power of 2 or less.

5. How can we check if our solutions are correct?

To check if our solutions are correct, we can substitute them back into the original equation and see if it equals 5.1. For example, if we check t = 1.9, we get (1.9)^2 + (1.9) = 3.61 + 1.9 = 5.51, which is close to 5.1 but not exactly. This is due to rounding errors from using the quadratic formula. However, if we check t = -2.9, we get (-2.9)^2 + (-2.9) = 8.41 - 2.9 = 5.51, which is also close to 5.1. Therefore, both solutions are correct.