1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick algebra question

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I stated this as a small attached photo, since i still need to learn to write in latex (see photo)

2. Relevant equations
    How do you transform the first expression into the next expression (on photo)?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried various manipulations with potens rules, but I'm really lost here, please help me out.,

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what 'potens' rules are, but how do you bring anything under the radical sign? What must you do to it first?

Or as an alternate approach, if you add the expressions together under the radical on the RHS and simplify, what do you get?

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3
    I'm unsure of that: what must you do to bring something under the radical sign? I'm suck with respect to that trick.

5. Nov 14, 2014 #4
    Ohh wait now I get it, if you take the square root of dt^2 then both terms are under the radical :)

6. Nov 14, 2014 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't have any compehension of what the LHS means. But, in terms of "algebra", the identity is only true if dt is positive.

##\frac{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}{c} = \pm \sqrt{\frac{a^2}{c^2} + \frac{b^2}{c^2}}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted