1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick antiderivative question

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the antiderivative of y=tan^2x+sec^2x

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seems to be a simple question, but the answer is eluding me no matter what I do. My first try was to replace the tan^2 with sec^2-1, and then factor out a 1/2 from the resulting 2sec^2x-1, but after that I have no idea how to continue. I know that the answer I should wind up with is Y=2tanx-x+C, but have no idea how to go about getting this answer :tongue: Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Hint: d/dx(tan(x)) = sec2(x)
    Every derivative formula gives you an antiderivative formula for free, if look at it the right way.

I also believe the answer you should end up with is tan(2x) - x + C, which is slightly different from what you show.

4. May 8, 2009 #3
    Ohh I see it now, thanks Mark, and no the answer is correct, as it is what I arrived at as well just now.
    It might have been my mistake writing the question wrong, as it is y=(tanx)^2+(secx)^2. I just wrote it as y=tan^2x+sec^2x assuming people would know that, for example, tan^2x=(tanx)^2. I apologize for that mistake.

5. May 8, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I misread what you wrote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook