1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick basic topology question.

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is it true that if U is an open set, then U = Int(closure(U))?

3. The attempt at a solution I feel like this may be true; I found counter-examples to the general form, Int(U)=(Int(closure(U)), but they all seem to hinge on U being not open (A subset of rationals in the reals, which is neither open nor closed).

However I can't prove this one way or another; I'd like a nudging in the right direction of the proof is this is true, and just a, "it's false" if it's false, so I can keep hunting for a CE.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's true. Where is the proof giving you a problem? You want to show if x is an element of U, then x is an element of int(closure(U)) and vice versa.
  4. Dec 13, 2008 #3
    lol, I think it being four in the morning was giving me trouble.

So the first direction would be

x in U -> x an interior point and x in Clos(U); Int(U) = all interior points in U(closure), which includes x, so x in Int(Clos(U))

The other direction...

x in Int(clos(U))-> x an interior point of Clos(U) = Int(U) by definition which = U, since U is open.

Does that check out? The only reason I was having difficulty with this, is just intuitively, why is it not possible that closing the set/adding limit points will add points to the interior? I guess that means that if we had any interior point of U, it must have been originally contained in U if U is open. However, not if U isn't open. Why is this?
  5. Dec 13, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops. Sorry. Actually, it is hard to prove because it's false for exactly the reason you pointed out. Take U to be the union of (0,1) and (1,2). My mistake.
  6. Dec 13, 2008 #5
    Ok, excellent; then I both understand why it is false and where that BS proof I just made fails.

Thanks a ton.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?