Solving for d in Bragg's Law | Quick Question

• Thread starter cahill8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the question asks for the value of d in Bragg's Law equation, given four values of theta and the calculated wavelength. The attempt at a solution suggests using all four data points to establish a linear relationship and obtain d as the slope, either graphically or using the formula for linear regression. The equation for this linear relationship is sin(theta) = (lambda/2d)n.
cahill8

Homework Statement

I am inquiring about Braggs Law [tex]2 d\sin\theta = n\lambda [/tex].
The question I'm working on gives me the first four Bragg angles ([tex]\theta[/tex] values) and I have also calculated the wavelength of the light. I want to solve for d but I am unsure what value to use.

Homework Equations

Rearranging for d: [tex]d = \frac{n\lambda}{2\sin\theta} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to have multiple options. Using the different [tex]\theta[/tex] values with the corresponding n value (n=1,2,3,4) gives a different answer for d each time. I'm not sure whether to use just the first value ([tex]\theta_1[/tex] and n=1) or whether I should sum them all and divide by 4 to get an average? This site http://www.bruker-axs.de/fileadmin/user_upload/xrfintro/sec1_8.html (1/4 of the way down) suggests that each [tex]\theta[/tex] and corresponding n value account for different reflection orders. To me this sounds like the best value would be getting the average but I just want to make sure.

i.e. [tex]d = \frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{\lambda}{2\sin\theta_1}+...+\frac{4\lambda}{2\sin\theta_4}\right) [/tex]

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot sin(theta) against n. This is a linear equation with a slope of lambda/2d. If you know lambda, you can get d.

1. What is Braggs Law?

Braggs Law is a scientific principle that describes how X-rays or other types of electromagnetic radiation are diffracted by a crystal lattice. It is named after the scientists William Henry Bragg and William Lawrence Bragg, who first proposed the law in 1913.

2. What is the equation for Braggs Law?

The equation for Braggs Law is nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is an integer representing the order of the diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the radiation, d is the distance between crystal planes, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

3. How is Braggs Law used in crystallography?

Braggs Law is used in crystallography to determine the structure of crystals by analyzing the diffraction pattern produced when X-rays or other radiation pass through a crystal. By measuring the angle of diffraction and the wavelength of the radiation, scientists can calculate the distance between crystal planes and the arrangement of atoms within the crystal.

4. What are the limitations of Braggs Law?

One limitation of Braggs Law is that it only applies to regular, periodic structures, such as crystals. Another limitation is that it assumes that the crystal lattice is perfectly aligned, which may not always be the case. Additionally, Braggs Law is only applicable to X-ray and other radiation with similar wavelengths, and cannot be used for larger scale structures.

5. Can Braggs Law be applied to non-crystalline materials?

No, Braggs Law is specific to crystals and cannot be applied to non-crystalline materials. This is because non-crystalline materials do not have a regular, repeating structure that allows for diffraction to occur.