Quick but Urgent Question Regarding NH4Cl + H2SO4

• Thread starter Maxwell Kraft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Urgent
In summary, when NH4Cl is mixed with H2SO4, a neutralization reaction occurs, producing ammonium sulfate, heat, and water. The resulting solution is clear, colorless, and has a pH of 4. These substances are both white, crystalline, soluble in water, and strong acids. They can be used in a laboratory setting for various purposes, but it is important to handle them with caution and follow safety protocols. It is not safe to mix them on your own without proper training and equipment. Precautions such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area should be taken when handling NH4Cl + H2SO4.
Maxwell Kraft
Hey everyone. I'm finishing up a lab and a question has me stumped.

I need to determine the products if NH4Cl + H2SO4

I THINK it's going to be H2O + SO2 + some kind of salt, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of NH4Cl as NH3:HCl

for reaching out for assistance with your lab question. Based on the chemical equation NH4Cl + H2SO4, the products would indeed be H2O and SO2, as well as a salt called ammonium sulfate (NH4)2SO4. This salt is formed when ammonium chloride (NH4Cl) reacts with sulfuric acid (H2SO4). I hope this helps with your lab completion. Best of luck!

What happens when NH4Cl is mixed with H2SO4?

When NH4Cl is mixed with H2SO4, a neutralization reaction occurs. The ammonium ion (NH4+) and the hydrogen ion (H+) from H2SO4 combine to form ammonium sulfate (NH4)2SO4, a salt. This reaction also releases heat and produces water (H2O).

What are the properties of NH4Cl + H2SO4?

NH4Cl and H2SO4 are both white, crystalline substances that are soluble in water. They are also both strong acids, meaning they can readily donate hydrogen ions in a solution. When combined, they form a clear, colorless solution with a pH of approximately 4.

Can NH4Cl + H2SO4 be used in a laboratory setting?

Yes, NH4Cl + H2SO4 can be used in a laboratory setting for various purposes. The neutralization reaction between the two substances is often used to prepare ammonium sulfate for use as a fertilizer or in other industrial processes. However, it is important to handle these chemicals with care and follow proper safety protocols when working with them.

Is it safe to mix NH4Cl and H2SO4 on my own?

No, it is not safe to mix NH4Cl and H2SO4 on your own without proper training and equipment. Both substances are strong acids and can cause chemical burns if not handled correctly. It is best to leave the mixing of these chemicals to trained professionals in a laboratory setting.

What precautions should I take when working with NH4Cl + H2SO4?

When working with NH4Cl + H2SO4, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. These substances should also be handled in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. In case of accidental contact with skin or eyes, immediately rinse with plenty of water and seek medical attention if necessary.