Quick Calculus Help: $\nabla$ of $(r^-2) \hat{r} \times \hat{z}$

• Thread starter sm1t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about using the formula for curl in cylindrical coordinates with the given equation. The person initially thought they were wrong because they got a result of zero, but they were using the formula for curl in spherical coordinates instead of cylindrical. They were advised to use the correct coordinates and reminded that "z" is not a spherical coordinate.
sm1t

Homework Statement

[tex]\nabla[/tex] of (r^-2)rhat x zhat

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex](AxB) = B([tex]\nabla[/tex]xA) - A([tex]\nabla[/tex]xB)

Using cylindrical coordinates and curl in cylindrical with the above equation, I get zero?
But I think I am wrong?
Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't get zero. Let's see what you did, then we can tell you where you're going wrong.

I am using the formula for curl in spherical, I konw I said cylindrical.
Taking the first cross product, zhat([tex]\nabla[/tex] x r^2 rhat) I use the ffact its in the rhat direction, so in the curl formula, sub r^2 for all r direction components. However they are then partially differentiated and I get zero, as the r^2 has no phi or theta components does it?

sm1t said:
I am using the formula for curl in spherical, I konw I said cylindrical.

You should be using cylindrical. "z" isn't a spherical coordinate.

1. What is the meaning of the symbol $\nabla$?

The symbol $\nabla$ (pronounced "del") is a mathematical symbol that represents the gradient operator in vector calculus. It is used to represent the rate of change or slope of a function.

2. What does the expression $(r^-2) \hat{r} \times \hat{z}$ represent?

This expression represents the cross product of two vectors, $\hat{r}$ and $\hat{z}$, multiplied by the scalar quantity $r^{-2}$. It can be thought of as the product of the magnitude of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

3. How do I calculate the gradient of $(r^-2) \hat{r} \times \hat{z}$?

To calculate the gradient, or $\nabla$, of this expression, you will first need to express it in terms of Cartesian coordinates. Then, you can use the formula for the gradient of a 3D vector function, which is $\nabla f = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\hat{i} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\hat{j} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\hat{k}$.

4. What is the physical significance of the expression $(r^-2) \hat{r} \times \hat{z}$?

This expression has multiple physical interpretations, depending on the context in which it is used. In general, it represents a quantity that is related to the direction and magnitude of a vector field. For example, in electromagnetism, it can represent the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

5. What are some common applications of the gradient operator in calculus?

The gradient operator, or $\nabla$, is commonly used in vector calculus to calculate the rate of change of a scalar field in multiple dimensions. It has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It is also used in optimization problems to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent.