Understanding P-V Diagrams: Work Done and Heat Input in a Closed Loop Process

In summary, the conversation discusses a close loop P-V diagram and the relationship between heat input and work done by the gas for various processes. It is determined that for a cyclic process with a fixed quantity of ideal gas, the net change in internal energy is zero and thus, heat input is equal to work done by the gas. The conversation also mentions the net heat flow into the system, which is equal to the heat flow from the hot reservoir minus the heat flow to the cold reservoir.
quietrain
in a close loop P-V diagram,

dQ = dE + PdV right?

so if i want to get the net work down by the gas , i just need to find the Work done for each process right?

but my dE is always 0 since cyclic process,

so for constant volume,

WD = ∫ PdV = 0

for constant temperature,

WD = ∫ PdV = nrT∫ VdV = nrT ln V

for constant pressure,

WD = ∫ PdV = P(V2-V1)

so since dE is 0, heat input = work done by the gas right? since from First law,

heat in = change in internal energy + work done by the gas

so in calculating the work done by the gas, i am calculating the heat input right?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning looks correct to me: for a cyclic process whereby a fixed quantity of ideal gas is returned to its initial (P, V) coordinates, the net change in internal energy is zero. [itex]\Delta U = Q - W = 0[/itex], so [itex]Q = W[/itex].

quietrain said:
so since dE is 0, heat input = work done by the gas right? since from First law,

heat in = change in internal energy + work done by the gas
What do you mean by heat in? Qh or Qh-Qc?

[itex]\Delta Q = W[/itex]. The net heat flow into the system = work done by the system. The net heat flow into the system is the heat flow from the hot reservoir (Qh) minus the heat flow to the cold reservoir (Qc).

So:

[tex]W = \Delta Q = Q_h-Q_c[/tex]

AM

ah i see thanks!

I can confirm that your understanding of P-V diagrams and the relationship between work done and heat input is correct. In a closed loop process, the change in internal energy (dE) is indeed zero, so the heat input is equal to the work done by the gas. This is in line with the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the heat input is equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done by the system. Therefore, in calculating the work done by the gas in a closed loop P-V diagram, you are essentially calculating the heat input for the system. It is important to note that this relationship holds true only for closed loop processes, as in open systems, there may be other factors contributing to the change in internal energy. Overall, your understanding of P-V diagrams and the associated calculations is accurate and well-supported by scientific principles. Keep up the good work!

What is a P-V diagram?

A P-V diagram, short for pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume of a system. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to visualize processes and calculate work done.

How is a P-V diagram constructed?

A P-V diagram is constructed by plotting pressure on the vertical axis and volume on the horizontal axis. The plotted points are connected to form a curve, with each point representing a specific state of the system. The shape of the curve can indicate the type of process occurring.

What information can be obtained from a P-V diagram?

A P-V diagram can provide information about the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a system during a process. It can also be used to calculate work done and determine the efficiency of a process.

How is a P-V diagram used in real-world applications?

P-V diagrams are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze heat engines, refrigeration cycles, and other thermodynamic processes. They are also useful in understanding the behavior of gases and fluids in various systems.

Are there any limitations to using a P-V diagram?

While P-V diagrams are a useful tool, they have some limitations. They are most accurate for ideal gases and may not accurately represent non-ideal behavior. Additionally, they do not take into account factors such as friction and pressure losses, which can affect the actual performance of a system.