1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Chemistry Question!

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    A typical adult human heart beats an average of 60 times per minute. If you were allotted a mole of heartbeats, how long in years could you expect to live? You may assume each year has 365 days.

I know that I need to use the Avagadro's number ... 6.02 x 10^23, but I am not sure how to formulate a proportion to solve for it. I do know the answer, which is 1.9 x 10^16 years. If anyone could just help me understand how to solve for the answer you would be a great help! :!!)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

To do this, you need to convert heat beats per minute, into heat beat per year.
    You know that there are 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, and (for the purposes of this problem), 365 days in a year.

You are looking for the number of years it would take someone to accumlate 1 mol of heat beats (6.022 E23) at athe rate you just found earlier.
  4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    Alright, so that would be 31536000 heart beats per year.
    And then I would just put it into a proportion.
    1 mol - 6.02 x 10 ^23
    x - 31536000

and cross multiply!
    Thanks, I guess that was an easier question than I was making it out to be!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?