1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick complex integral

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1
    I'm working through an example regarding the spectral content of a truncated wave, and came across this in the text book.
    I have no idea what they mean by the cosine being even and the sine odd. If anyone can explain this step to me that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2006 #2
    Ok, I'll try to explain in simple terms. You know that an integral represents the area under the curve/graph, right? If the graph or parts of it are in the negative y-plane (under the x-axis), the area is negative. If a graph is symmetrical (looking the same on both sides of the y-axis), the function is called even. The cosine is like that (draw it and see for yourself). The sine, on the other hand, is odd, which means that one part of it is in the negative y-plane and the other in the positive. The two sections have the same area, but the one that is in the negative y-plane has a negative area and therefore, the areas cancel and the integral of is zero. Hopefully this helped some.

4. Mar 11, 2006 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x) is an even function then f(x)=f(-x) for all x.
    If f(x) is an odd function then f(x)=-f(-x) for all x.

For your question, on the interval [-T,0] do a change of variables to change t to -t and do some fiddling.

Also, think about the graphs of any odd function (sin(x) for example) on an interval symmetric about the origin, you should be able to 'see' the cancellation (similar for an even function)

5. Mar 11, 2006 #4
    Ordinary Diff. Eq.?

This looks a lot like a problem in my Diff. Eq. book. From that, an numeric constant r is found to be [itex]a+bi[/itex]. Then the equation is translated to [itex]{e^a(cos(b*t) + sin(b*t))}[/itex].
    from that, the equation can be shortned to [itex]{e^a*cos(b*t)}[/itex].

Im not sure if this applies here, but I hope this helps. :biggrin:

6. Mar 13, 2006 #5
    Thankyou for the responses. I've got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?