1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick convention question

1. Nov 20, 2003 #1
    Is the closed interval [a,a] considered a legitimate notation for the set {a}? Would (a,a) denote the empty set?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2
    I haven't actually seen anyone use that notation in such a degenerate case, but I don't see any reason why the usage you describe isn't legitimate.

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[a,a] is used- usually in something like [a,b] where you want to consider the possibility that b= a.

If I came across reference to an interval like (a,a), I probably would interpret it as the empty set- although I would wonder why they picked a!

5. Nov 21, 2003 #4
    A={x : f(x)<0 on [a,x]}
    Is a in A? It is if f(x)<0 on [a,a]. And since [a,a] has only one number, it suffices to show that f(a)<0.

A={x : f(x)<0 on (a,x)}
    Is a in A? It is if f(x)<0 on (a,a). But this is kind of nonsense. There is nothing in (a,a). You make the call.

So anyway, I just wanted to point this out to show why you might write (a,a) rather than {}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook