Confirmation for Simplifying Vector Product: Can Constants be Taken Out?

In summary, the question is asking if the constant c can be taken out of the vector product (A/c x cB) and simplified to (1/c*c)(A x B). The answer is yes, as shown by using the definition of cross product and properties of the determinant. Therefore, A x B can be expressed as A/c x cB.
fishspawned
this is a general question - the thing I'm working on if what i am asking makes sense - i am currently only looking for a confirmation on what i think is right

this is a vector product question:

if i have:

(A/c x cB)

can i look at that as:

(1/c*c)(A x B)

which comes to

A x B

the question is - can i take the constant, c, out in the way i am showing? i ask this as i cannot find an identity that confirms this.

Physics news on Phys.org
fishspawned said:
this is a general question - the thing I'm working on if what i am asking makes sense - i am currently only looking for a confirmation on what i think is right

this is a vector product question:

if i have:

(A/c x cB)

can i look at that as:

(1/c*c)(A x B)

which comes to

A x B

the question is - can i take the constant, c, out in the way i am showing? i ask this as i cannot find an identity that confirms this.
Just use the definition of cross product of two vectors X and Y, which is a vector which has magnitude |X||Y|sinθ in a direction given by the right hand rule perpendicular to the plane of X and Y. What are the magnitudes of [itex]1/c(\vec{A})[/itex] and [itex]c\vec{B}[/itex]?

AM

A/c X cB by definition is the vector such that
< A/c X cB, n > = Det [ A/c , cB, n ] for all n. By the properties of the determinant,
Det [ A/c , cB, n ] = 1/c*c Det[A,B,n] = Det[A,B,n] = < A X B, n > for all n. Finally,
< A/c X cB, n > - < A X B, n > = 0 for all n, so A X B = A/c X cB.( < > is the inner product, or just the dot product in this case )

What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors.

How is a cross product calculated?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first need to find the components of each vector. Then, using the right-hand rule, you can determine the direction of the resulting vector. Finally, you can use the cross product formula to calculate the magnitude of the resulting vector.

What is the purpose of a cross product?

The cross product is used to find the area of a parallelogram, determine whether two vectors are perpendicular, and to calculate torque in physics. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate the normal vector of a surface.

Can a cross product be negative?

Yes, the cross product can be negative. This indicates that the resulting vector is pointing in the opposite direction of what was expected based on the right-hand rule.

What are some real-life applications of cross products?

Cross products have many real-life applications, such as determining the direction of a magnetic field, calculating the force of a lever, and finding the torque on a spinning object. They are also used in engineering, physics, and computer graphics.