1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick current question

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    a very simple question that i have no idea about:
    can you say that a current of 1A to the right is also a current of -1A to the left?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2
    Well, I don't really know, but that's what happen when you invert the inputs of an amperemeter.

So, it's either a device convention to tell you the current go the other way or intensity is really counted negatively.

In fact, I don't really know neither, but I'm sure a guru is gonna answer us :p

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    After a quick google search, I think I've found the answer: using + and - for current intensity is just a convention to indicate the direction of the current.

Positive intensity if the current go in the same direction as you decided on your drawing, negative otherwise. Just a convention.

When you calculate intensity, I guess you should get positive results only.

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4
    well, i was wondering about it in the context of working out current into/out of junctions, and it seemed important

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?