1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick DE fix

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm looking to solve a DE for a problem I have but I haven't done so in a while and must be forgetting something. I've checked the answer in Mathematica and what I'm getting is wrong.

u''(r)+1/r u'=G/m

3. The attempt at a solution

homogeneous solution:

a^2+1/r a = 0 -> a = 0, -1/r

u1 = Ae^(-1)+B

try u2 = c r (as a constant B already exists as part of the solution, multiply by r)

u' = c u'' = 0

c/r = G/m
    c = Gr/m

u2 = Gr^2/m

u = Ae^(-1)+B+Gr^2/m

Whereas the actual solution is

u = A Ln(r)+B+Gr^2/4m

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are tacitly assuming that r is a constant, but it's not. It's the independent variable.

Your DE is u''(r) + (1/r)u'(r) = G/m
    Since there's no u(r) term, I would make this substitution.
    Let w(r) = u'(r) ==> w'(r) = u''(r)
    With this substitution you can rewrite the DE as
    w'(r) + (1/r)w(r) = G/m
    Now you can use the standard technique of finding an integrating factor, v(r) = e^{integral(1/r).
    That's what I would do.

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    Thanks, that worked out good.

Could you point out in my initial work where I implied r was constant? because I didn't mean to.

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You treated the equation u'' + (1/r)u' = G/m as if it were a constant coefficient differential equation.

From the homogeneous equation, u'' + (1/r)u' = 0, you got a characteristic equation of a^2 + (1/r)a = 0, and then factored the left side. This would have worked if r were a constant, but r is the independent variable, or so I gather by your use of u''(r).

It's the difference between, say y' + 2y = 0 (with general solution y = Ae-2x) and y' + xy = 0 (with general solution y = Ce-(1/2)x2).

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    Cheers, I understand now

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook