1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Derivative Question

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    I just have a quick question on derivatives
    If I was to take [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex] of V = pi*h*r^2, the pi would be 0, right? Since pi is a constant, and derivatives of constants are 0, right?
    In need of some confirmation, thanks :D
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2
    i don't want to say yes b/c it seems as if there is more to your problem that isn't showing in the latex

if it's just [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\pi=0[/tex] then yes, but idk about your problem
  4. Oct 28, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It seems you wanted [tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex], where [tex]V= \pi hr^2[/tex].

Well, there is no t in the expression for V, so really dV/dt is 0, since the other things are all constants with respect to t.
  5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
    Sorry, I've fixed it though XD

It's actually a "Related Rates" problem I'm working on, and my prof said to take d/dt of both sides of V = (pi)hr^2
    So I'm just wondering if the pi portion would automatically be 0
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  6. Oct 28, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Give us the actual problem!! [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \pi = 0[/tex] but [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \pi x = \pi[/tex]
  7. Oct 28, 2007 #6
    lol ... :D
  8. Oct 28, 2007 #7
    Ok, so the actual problem is:
    An upright cylindrical tank with radius 6 m is being filled with water at a rate of 4 m3/min. How fast is the height of the water increasing?

So I wanted to take the d/dt of the equation V = (pi)hr^2, since I figured that's what the prof said, and now.. I'm just trying to figure out what the d/dt is :/
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?