Solving Quick Derivative: Chain & Product Rules

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation was about finding the derivative of a function using the chain rule and product rule. The function involved fractions and the question was whether the derivative would be as simple as just 1. The expert then summarized the steps to find the derivative and mentioned the use of the property [ k*f(x) ]' = k*f '(x). The conversation ended with gratitude for the help provided.
ziddy83
hey guys,

I need to find the derivative of this function, do i use the chain rule and the product rule? and for the stuff inside the parenthesis, how do i differentiate that? the derivative of x is just 1...but since its a fraction, would it be as simple as that? please help, thanks.

[tex]\frac{1}{32} \left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) * 1.60[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
ziddy83 said:
hey guys,

I need to find the derivative of this function, do i use the chain rule and the product rule? and for the stuff inside the parenthesis, how do i differentiate that? the derivative of x is just 1...but since its a fraction, would it be as simple as that? please help, thanks.

[tex]\frac{1}{32} \left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) * 1.60[/tex]

Write it as a sum:[itex] 3.2x+\frac{1}{1000x} [/itex] and use the derivatives of "x" and "1/x" to find your result.

mmh.. all you need is the property [ k*f(x) ]' = k*f '(x) for any constant k.

In your case,

[tex]\frac{1}{32} \left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) * 1.60 = \frac{1.60}{32}\left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) = \frac{1.60}{32}\left( \frac{64}{x} \right) + \frac{1.60}{32}\left(\frac{x}{50} \right) = \frac{1.60*64}{32}\left( \frac{1}{x} \right) + \frac{1.60}{32*50}\left(x \right)[/tex]

and 1/x is the same as [itex]x^{-1}[/itex]. And you know what the derivative rule is for [tex]x^k[/itex] where k is a constant.

Great, thanks a lot guys, i appreciate it.

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

What is the product rule?

The product rule is another rule in calculus used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

How do you use the chain rule to find the derivative?

To use the chain rule, first identify the outer function and the inner function of the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function, leaving the inner function as it is. Next, take the derivative of the inner function and multiply it by the derivative of the outer function. Finally, combine these two derivatives to get the derivative of the composite function.

Can the chain rule and product rule be used together?

Yes, the chain rule and product rule can be used together to find the derivative of a function that is a composition of two or more functions multiplied together. First, use the chain rule to find the derivative of the composite function, and then use the product rule to find the derivative of the multiplied functions.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain and product rules?

Some common mistakes when using the chain and product rules include incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions, forgetting to apply the chain rule or product rule, and making errors in the algebraic simplification of the derivatives. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.