1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick derivative

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    hey guys,

I need to find the derivative of this function, do i use the chain rule and the product rule? and for the stuff inside the parenthesis, how do i differentiate that? the derivative of x is just 1....but since its a fraction, would it be as simple as that? please help, thanks.

[tex]\frac{1}{32} \left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) * 1.60[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write it as a sum:[itex] 3.2x+\frac{1}{1000x} [/itex] and use the derivatives of "x" and "1/x" to find your result.
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

mmh.. all you need is the property [ k*f(x) ]' = k*f '(x) for any constant k.

In your case,

[tex]\frac{1}{32} \left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) * 1.60 = \frac{1.60}{32}\left( \frac{64}{x} + \frac{x}{50} \right) = \frac{1.60}{32}\left( \frac{64}{x} \right) + \frac{1.60}{32}\left(\frac{x}{50} \right) = \frac{1.60*64}{32}\left( \frac{1}{x} \right) + \frac{1.60}{32*50}\left(x \right)[/tex]

and 1/x is the same as [itex]x^{-1}[/itex]. And you know what the derivative rule is for [tex]x^k[/itex] where k is a constant.
  5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    Great, thanks a lot guys, i appreciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?