Help solving a derivative for f(x) = x^3 at x=-2

• Thread starter dec1ble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of the function f(x) = x^3 at x = -2. The answer in the back of the book is 12, but the person asking the question got 4. The responder suggests using the definition of a derivative, or the shortcut method of using the fact that the derivative of a polynomial function is equal to the exponent multiplied by the base raised to the exponent minus one. In this case, the derivative is 3x^2, which when evaluated at x = -2, also gives an answer of 12.
dec1ble
i am having trouble with a fairly easy derivative - and was wondering if someone could show me the steps how to find this?

Find this derivative algebraically

f(x) = x^3 (x cubed) at x= -2

The answer in the back of the book says the derivative is 12 - but I did the work and got 4. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thy shalt not forget to multiply by the exponent... i.e.

[tex](x^a)' = ax^{a-1}[/tex]

Consider the function [tex] x^4 [/tex] Then [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = 4x^{3} [/tex]

Do the same for your function

Use the definition:Denote the derivative in the point "-2" by D.Then:

[tex] D=:\lim_{x\rightarrow -2}\frac{f(x)-f(-2)}{x-(-2)}=\lim_{x\rightarrow -2}\frac{x^{3}+8}{x+2}=\lim_{x\rightarrow -2} x^{2}-2x+4 =+12 [/tex]

,where i made use of the identity:

[tex] a^{3}+b^{3}=(a+b)(a^{2}-ab+b^{2}) [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby did it through definition of a derivative. if you are lazy like me, you can do it a shorter way!
[tex]y=x^3~~n=3[/tex]
if you have a polynomial function, and you want to find the derivative of it use the fact that if [itex]y=x^n[/itex], then [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = nx^{n-1}[/itex].
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3x^{3-1}=3x^2[/tex]
now, evaluate [itex]3x^2[/itex] at -2.
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3(-2)^2=3(4)=12[/tex]
that's the lazy way. :smile:

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function, with respect to the independent variable, and then combining them using algebraic operations.

3. What is the process for solving a derivative at a specific point?

The process involves finding the derivative of the function, plugging in the given point for the independent variable, and then evaluating the resulting expression for the derivative.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative at a specific point?

Sure. For the function f(x) = x^3, the derivative would be 3x^2. To find the derivative at x = -2, we plug in -2 for x in the derivative expression, giving us a final answer of 12.

5. Why is finding the derivative at a specific point important?

The derivative at a specific point provides valuable information about the behavior of the function at that point. It can tell us about the rate of change, the slope of the tangent line, and whether the function is increasing or decreasing at that point.