1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Dirac Notation question

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find <lz> using [itex]\Psi[/itex], where [itex]\Psi[/itex]=(Y11+cY1-1)/(1+c^2)).

Ylm are spherical harmonics, and <lz> is the angular momentum operator in the z direction.

2. Relevant equations

<lz> Ylm = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]mYlm

3. The attempt at a solution

The brackets around <lz> are throwing me off. This isn't defined in my book, but am I just supposed to apply the above equation to [itex]\Psi[/itex]?

So <lz> = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]m(Y11+cY1-1)/(1+c^2)?

Also what would m be?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2
    The m is the eigenvalue of the lz operator for the spherical harmonic in question, i.e. the m in Ylm, i.e. +1 or -1 in your problem.

The <> notation surrounding an operator is implicitly the expectation value with respect to some given wavefunction:

<lz> = <[itex]\Psi[/itex]| lz |[itex]\Psi[/itex]>

I think your "relevant equation" should perhaps read

lz Ylm = [itex]\hbar[/itex]m Ylm

i.e. the operator is "naked" when it acts on the spherical harmonic. However, the equation you wrote is not exactly incorrect... it's just that <lz> is simply a number, not an operator, and the number is just [itex]\hbar[/itex]m provided [itex]\Psi[/itex] = Ylm. That's subtly different from the equation I wrote, which indicates that the operator acting the wavefunction gives you a multiple of the wavefunction. Does that make sense?

This is a pretty straightforward problem once you get the notation. The point is that the wave function is just a linear superposition of two eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operator, so the expectation is a linear function of the eigenvalues. But you have to do the algebra to get the right answer. And by "do the algebra" I mean to write down the expectation value, in which the wave function ψ shows up in both the bra and the ket form, in integral form, and make sure you understand how the orthonormality of the spherical harmonics makes the resulting integral "simple"....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook