Quick easy clarification (redshift vs blue shift)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of redshift and blueshift in the context of Doppler effect. The participants also touch upon the role of wavelength and frequency in determining the color of light and how it can be affected by relative motion. The example given involves a red laser appearing as green due to Doppler shift, which is considered a blueshift. The conversation also clarifies the difference between source and observed wavelength and frequency in this scenario.
phys-lexic
i just have the two mixed up, and need an example to set it straight...

lets say you're source is a red light (hight wavelength, low frequency) to green light (lower wavelenght, higher frequency)... that would be a blue shift?

redshift = wavelength (H->L)
frequency (L->H)
blueshift = wavelength (L->H)
frequency (H->L)

... is that right or do i have it backwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If a source is approaching you, it's blue-shifted. If it's receding, it's red-shifted. Think of it as compressing or stretching the waves relative to your position. Simply changing the colour of something doesn't involve a Doppler shift at all.

You are correct though that if a red laser appears as green due to doppler shift, that would be a blueshift.

phys-lexic said:
red shift = wavelength (H->L)
frequency (L->H)
blue shift = wavelength (L->H)
frequency (H->L)

... is that right or do i have it backwards?

in a red shift Wavelength would be shorter to longer wavelength
and f higher frequency to lower frequency
red shift higher energy to lower energy photon.

cjl said:
You are correct though that if a red laser appears as green due to doppler shift, that would be a blueshift.

I'm not a chromatologist, so I'm not sure about this. I'm fairly certain, though, that green would not appear in a Doppler shift. It's not a normal part of the visible spectrum; it is rather a combination of blue and yellow. I can't see that a red source approaching at a significant percentage of light speed would produce it.

(I'm not sure that 'chromatologist' is an actual job title; I just mean someone who specializes in colour.)

Danger said:
I'm fairly certain, though, that green would not appear in a Doppler shift. It's not a normal part of the visible spectrum; it is rather a combination of blue and yellow.
Green (λ ≈ 530 nm) is most definitely part of the "normal" visible spectrum.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Doc.

Danger said:
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

I know the concept behind the shifts, i just am not sure what they mean by an increase/decrease in wavelength... do they mean from the source to the observed or from the observed to the source... which is why i gave the example from a source it is 630nm (red) to being observed as 530nm (green), would that be considered an increase in wavelenghth or decrease in wavelenght (it depends on what you consider the change to be from and to)

-i agree with doc, green light is most definitely in the "normal" spectrum

phys-lexic said:
I know the concept behind the shifts, i just am not sure what they mean by an increase/decrease in wavelength... do they mean from the source to the observed or from the observed to the source... which is why i gave the example from a source it is 630nm (red) to being observed as 530nm (green), would that be considered an increase in wavelenghth or decrease in wavelenght (it depends on what you consider the change to be from and to)
That example is a decrease in wavelength (compared to what the source is emitting) and thus is a "blue" shift.

If the source is emitting red light (630nm)--which means that someone traveling along with the source would measure the wavelength to be 630nm--and that source is moving towards you fast enough that you observe the light to have a wavelength of 530nm (green), that is called a "blue" shift, because the observed wavelength is shortened by the relative motion.

ya i was wondering if it would work 2 cause if u put a red laser through a prism u get red out of the other side , but i think with the doppler shift u could still have it look green.

1. What is the difference between redshift and blueshift?

Redshift and blueshift are both terms used to describe the shifting of light waves. Redshift refers to the lengthening of light waves, causing them to appear more red, while blueshift refers to the shortening of light waves, causing them to appear more blue.

2. What causes redshift and blueshift?

Redshift and blueshift are caused by the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source and the observer. In the case of light, this can be caused by the movement of an object emitting or reflecting the light, or the movement of the observer.

3. How do scientists use redshift and blueshift to study objects in space?

Scientists use redshift and blueshift to study the movement and distance of objects in space. By measuring the amount of redshift or blueshift in the light from an object, they can determine if the object is moving away or towards us, as well as its velocity and distance.

4. Can redshift and blueshift be observed in everyday life?

Yes, redshift and blueshift can be observed in everyday life. An example of redshift can be seen in the changing color of a siren as it approaches and then moves away from you. An example of blueshift can be seen in the changing color of a car's headlights as it approaches and then moves away from you.

5. How do redshift and blueshift affect our understanding of the universe?

Redshift and blueshift are important tools in understanding the expansion of the universe. The observation of redshift in light from distant galaxies helped to support the theory of the Big Bang, which suggests that the universe is expanding. The amount of redshift or blueshift in the light from distant objects also helps scientists to determine the age and composition of the universe.