Quick Easy Question: Point of Discontinuity

In summary, the original poster is asking about a function involving a point of discontinuity, where the graph has a hole at a specific point. They are unsure of what exactly a point of discontinuity means, but they provide an example of a function where the graph has a hole at (-4, 1). This function is a straight line with a "hole" at (-4, 1) and is not considered a continuous line. They also mention that all the function questions they have done involve a point of discontinuity, and they thank the person for their help.
Dooga Blackrazor
I have been doing some function questions. I think it is Calculus because it is in a Calculus course; however, it could be pre-calculus. I decided to post it here anyway. Question:

(x+5)(x+4)

Every question I have done involve a POD like this. Two on the top and one on the bottom that cancels out. POD = -4 and is a circle on the graph. At a y component and x = -4. The point doesn't go through there.

Is every POD situation end up looking like that. I don't know what POD even means, lol. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dooga Blackrazor said:
... I don't know what POD even means, lol. Thanks.
Couls it be: Point Of Discontinuity ?

Since the original post used the term "point of discontinuity" in the title, I suspect the poster knew that "POD" meant "point of discontinuity" but doesn't understand what "point of discontinuity" means.

In this particular case, as long as x is not -4, we can cancel the two "x+4" terms and the y= (x+5)(x+4)/(x+4)= x+ 5. The graph of y= x+5 is a straight line, in particular, containing the point (-4, 1). You can draw it in one continuous motion.

The graph of y= (x+5)(x+4)/(x+4) looks exactly like that except that now y is not defined when x= -4 ((1)(0)/0 is not 1- it is undefined). The graph of that function is a straight line with a "hole" (perhaps represented by a circle) at (-4, 1). It is not a single "continuous" line- there is a "discontinuity" at (-4, 1) which is why it is called "POD"- "point of discontinuity".

1. What is a point of discontinuity?

A point of discontinuity is a point on a graph where the function is not continuous. This means that there is a break or gap in the graph, indicating that the function is undefined or has a different value at that specific point.

2. How can I identify a point of discontinuity on a graph?

A point of discontinuity can be identified by looking for a gap or break in the graph. It can also be identified by finding a point where the function is undefined or has a different value than the rest of the graph.

3. What causes a point of discontinuity?

A point of discontinuity can be caused by various factors, such as a removable or non-removable discontinuity, a jump discontinuity, or an infinite discontinuity. It can also be caused by a function being undefined or having a different value at a specific point.

4. How can I determine the type of discontinuity at a given point?

The type of discontinuity at a given point can be determined by analyzing the graph and the behavior of the function at that point. For example, if the function has a gap or break in the graph, it could be a jump discontinuity. If the function is undefined at that point, it could be a non-removable discontinuity.

5. Can a point of discontinuity be fixed?

It depends on the type of discontinuity. A removable discontinuity can be fixed by redefining the function at that point. However, non-removable discontinuities and infinite discontinuities cannot be fixed and will always remain on the graph.