1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick, Easy Question

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Stupid question, tried googling it but was unsuccessful (you'd think it'd be easy to find...)
    Also, my class is currently in the middle of springs and waves.

Anyway, I have this:

V=fx

I'm pretty damn sure it means:

velocity = frequency*distance

However, the only velocity formula I can find that's similar is velocity = wavelength * frequency.

I really just want confirmation.
    Thank you, and sorry for wasting your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    What context did you find this equation in? Or is the question to identify the equation?

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    I found it in my notes. My handwriting is terrible btw, so sometimes even I have difficult discerning what I wrote.
    But it was part of a section on springs. Most of the spring problems go like this:
    find spring constant and/or find amplitude,
    find max energy, find velocity at point A, find position at time T, find the period (T), etc.

I know another way to find velocity

√(k/m(A^2-x^2))

but just want to make sure this equation isn't available because my teacher usually makes us use all of the equations on a test.
    Thanks again.

Edit: The thing that is most likely WRONG about the equation is the 'f'. It may actually mean another variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook