• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Quick Eigen Vector Question

• Thread starter superkam
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi, for the matrix A =
0 1 0

1 0 0

0 0 2

I have calculated the eigen values, and have successfully calculated the eigen vectors for lamda = -1 and 1. However for lamda = 2 the solutions says the answer is: Eigen vector: A( 0, 0, 1) where A is arbitrary and the vector is a column vector. The problem I am having is seeing where this answer came from.

Homework Equations

(A - lamda*I3)*(X, Y, Z) (column vector) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said above I already know the correct Eigen vector for this particular Eigen value, I just cannot see where the answer has come from. From using the equation above I got the three following equations:
-2X + Y = 0
-2Y = 0
0 = 0

From these equations I cannot see where you get an eigen vector including a value for Z. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance, Kamran.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

Hi, for the matrix A =
0 1 0

1 0 0

0 0 2

I have calculated the eigen values, and have successfully calculated the eigen vectors for lamda = -1 and 1. However for lamda = 2 the solutions says the answer is: Eigen vector: A( 0, 0, 1) where A is arbitrary and the vector is a column vector. The problem I am having is seeing where this answer came from.

Homework Equations

(A - lamda*I3)*(X, Y, Z) (column vector) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said above I already know the correct Eigen vector for this particular Eigen value, I just cannot see where the answer has come from. From using the equation above I got the three following equations:
-2X + Y = 0
-2Y = 0
0 = 0

From these equations I cannot see where you get an eigen vector including a value for Z. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance, Kamran.
The second equation tells you y=0, and then the first equation tells you x=0. There's no condition on z, so z is arbitrary. In other words, the eigenvector is of the form (0,0,t)=t(0,0,1).

The second equation tells you y=0, and then the first equation tells you x=0. There's no condition on z, so z is arbitrary. In other words, the eigenvector is of the form (0,0,t)=t(0,0,1).
Ok I understand now, thank you for your help. :)