1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Eigen Vector Question

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, for the matrix A =
    0 1 0

1 0 0

0 0 2

I have calculated the eigen values, and have successfully calculated the eigen vectors for lamda = -1 and 1. However for lamda = 2 the solutions says the answer is: Eigen vector: A( 0, 0, 1) where A is arbitrary and the vector is a column vector. The problem I am having is seeing where this answer came from.
    2. Relevant equations

(A - lamda*I3)*(X, Y, Z) (column vector) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    As I said above I already know the correct Eigen vector for this particular Eigen value, I just cannot see where the answer has come from. From using the equation above I got the three following equations:
    -2X + Y = 0
    -2Y = 0
    0 = 0

From these equations I cannot see where you get an eigen vector including a value for Z. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance, Kamran.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The second equation tells you y=0, and then the first equation tells you x=0. There's no condition on z, so z is arbitrary. In other words, the eigenvector is of the form (0,0,t)=t(0,0,1).

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Ok I understand now, thank you for your help. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook