1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick eigenvector help

1. May 14, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The matrix,A,given by
    [tex]
    A = \left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    7 & -4 & 6\\
    2 & 2 & 2 \\
    -3 & 4 & -2 \
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

has eigenvalues 1,2,4 . Find a set of corresponding eigenvectors.

Hence find the eigenvalues of B, where

[tex]
    B = \left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    10 & -4 & 6\\
    2 & 5 & 2 \\
    -3 & 4 & 1 \
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

and state a corresponding set of eigenvectors.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I easily found the eigenvectors
    [itex]
    \lambda=1[/itex] corresponds to
    [tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    -1\\
    0 \\
    1\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

[itex]
    \lambda=2[/itex] corresponds to
    [tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    -4\\
    1 \\
    4\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

[itex]
    \lambda=4[/itex] corresponds to
    [tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    2\\
    3 \\
    1\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

Well for the one with B, just solve det(b-[itex]\lambda[/itex]I)=0 to get the e.values... but it says to state a set of e.vectors meaning that I am not supposed to work them out.
    The only thing I can really say about A and B is that in B all the elements in the main diagonal are the elements in the main diagonal of A with 3 added to them

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    In other words, B = A + 3I. Can you find a simple way to get B's eigenvalues and eigenvectors without explicitly working through B? Use the definitions of eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

4. May 14, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I could say that

[itex]Det(B-\lamda I)=0[/itex] and put B=A+3I, then say that I can reduce A to a triangular matrix such that the diagonal elements(Eigenvalues of A)+(3-[itex]\lambda[/itex])=0 and solve from there. And get the e.values to be 7,4,5. But how would the e.vectors be altered?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  5. May 14, 2008 #4
    The determinant is just a way to extract the eigenvalues mechanically. The original definition should state that L is an eigenvalue of A iff Av = Lv for some vector v (an eigenvector of A), or equivalently, A - LI = 0. Thus, to find eigenvalues L, we are looking for solutions of the equation B - LI = 0, which is equivalent to A + (3 - L)I = 0. We already know the solutions of this equation, specifically we know that L - 3 = L' where L' is an eigenvalue of A. No messing around with matrix forms or determinants necessary. Similarly, you can use the original equation to see how the eigenvectors of A compare to the eigenvectors of B. Can you see the way from here? :)

6. May 14, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I got the same answer but it all amounts to the same thing I guess.thanks

But then the e.vectors would be unchanged?

7. May 14, 2008 #6
    Indeed, you get the equation Av = (L - 3)v, where L is an eigenvalue of B and v is an eigenvector of B, implying that whenever v is an eigenvector for A, it is also an eigenvector for B, albeit with a different eigenvalue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?