Quick electric potential question

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of electric potential at different points and whether or not it can be determined. The conclusion is that the electric field in the picture is uniform and V_0 is greater than V_A, with a method for calculating V_0 given if V_A is known. The conversation also mentions the importance of getting the answer correct for a multiple choice question.
hoseA
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6329/potential4iu.png

i thought the electric potenial would be larger at Va than at V0.

Va>V0

Apparently I'm wrong. I thought since R=0 at the origin the electric potential would also be zero. Is that not the case?

Can the electric potential even be determined?

Or am i mixing it up with electric potential energy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the picture you attached, I think that the electric field is uniform

phucnv87 said:
In the picture you attached, I think that the electric field is uniform

How do u arrive at this conclusion?

Because the lines of electric force are parallel

phucnv87 said:
Because the lines of electric force are parallel

=( apparently that's incorrect. It's either V0>VA or "cannot be determined"

I really need to get the answer right... since it's a multiple choice question -- -6.67 is my current score(negative)... if it's right i'll get -3.33 or -10 if it's wrong.

As the picture shows, we have [tex]V_0>V_A[/tex] and because we don't know [tex]V_A[/tex], so we can calculate [tex]V_0[/tex]. If we know [tex]V_A[/tex] we can calculate [tex]V_0[/tex] by this method [tex]V_0=V_A+Ex[/tex] where [tex]x[/tex] is the position of point A in the x-axis.

Last edited:
phucnv87 said:
As the picture shows, we have [tex]V_0>V_A[/tex] and because we don't know [tex]V_A[/tex], so we can calculate [tex]V_0[/tex]. If we know [tex]V_A[/tex] we can calculate [tex]V_0[/tex] by this method [tex]V_0=V_A+Ex[/tex] where [tex]x[/tex] is the position of point A in the x-axis.
Thanks. That helps. :approve:

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of an electric field at a certain point in space. It is often described as the amount of work required to move a unit of positive charge from infinity to that point in the electric field.

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle at a specific point in space, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of that electric field at that point.

What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V represents the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the amount of charge, and r is the distance from the point in question to the source of the electric field.

How does electric potential affect charged particles?

Charged particles will experience a force when placed in an electric field with a non-uniform electric potential. The direction of the force will be towards areas with lower electric potential and away from areas with higher electric potential.

Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This occurs when the source of the electric field is a negative charge or when the charge being measured is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.