1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick elevator force problem

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    The question reads "A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only .75 of the person's regular weight. Calculate the acceleration of the elevator, and the direction."

I know that the direction is going down because..it just seems like common sense, and I know the answer is 2.5m/s^2, but I don't understand how that was reached...any help? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2
    Net sum of forces has to be constant. Taking 'up' as the positive direction, we can write:

N-ma=mg,

where a is the acceleration and N the normal force. The scale shows the normal force. Thus, N=0.75mg and we can write

0.75mg-ma=mg => a=-0.25*g=-2.45 m/s^2 (9.8 m/s^2)

Thus, acceleration is 2.45 in the negative direction, i.e. down.

4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    Good intuition on the direction. Consider that a reading of the person's weight is a reading of the force the person is exerting on the scale. In other words, 1.00*mg if the person is only under the force of Earth's gravity near sea level. Therefore, the net vertical force on the person right now is 0.75*mg.

5. Dec 16, 2004 #4
    Ah, thank you very much! I guess I was looking at the wrong thing..I was trying to figure out the forces of the elevator, not the person standing on the scale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?