1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick errors help

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    Hi guys..i always seem to forget how to calculate errors and end up confusing myself in a giant mess...so any help much appreciated.

I have 24.98 +/- 1.05 = e/(nkT)

And i need to work out n, i know all the other numbers (which are constants and have no errors). So firstly how do i calculate the error on n if all of the others are constant, and secondly how would i calculate the error on n if T also had an error? Cheers :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.St question:do u know calculus??Your function mai be written (via logaritmation)
    [tex] nkT=\ln(24.98\pm1.05) [/tex]

Express "n" and "[itex] \Delta n [/itex]" in terms "T" and "[itex] \Delta T[/itex]" respectively.

Daniel.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3
    oops, sorry, i didnt explain the equation clearly enough. "e" in this case doesnt stand for exponential, its the charge of an electron (k is the boltzmann constant and T is temperature).

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AAAA...That changes thing a little bit,not too much.You didn't answer to my question,though...Do u know calculus??
    Then the function would be:
    [tex] n=\frac{e}{(24.98 \pm 1.05) k} \frac{1}{T} [/tex]

Can u differentiate a function??

Daniel.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  6. Jan 22, 2005 #5
    Hi,

Yeah i can differentiate..but what bit would i need to differentiate and why?

7. Jan 23, 2005 #6
    Has this thread been forgotton about? :( Sorry i just dont even know where to start with errors when it gets more complicated than adding/subtracting...

Do you want me to differentiate every letter? Would that require using the product rule twice? Am i going in completly the wrong direction with this? Why do you need to differentiate to find errors? Thanks for any help so far :)

8. Jan 23, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because that's the theory of errors...Involves partial (in this case one variable,namely T) differentiation.

[tex] \Delta n=|\frac{dn(T)}{dT}|\Delta T [/tex]

,where [itex] \Delta T [/itex] is the error in temperature,and the corresponding [itex] \Delta n [/itex] is the error in concentration...

Daniel.

9. Jan 23, 2005 #8
    So if ive understood you correctly:

[tex]\Delta n={-T}^{-2}\Delta T[/tex]

? :)

10. Jan 23, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U didn't.

1.What happened to the constants???
    2.The minus does not exist.It's "erased" by the modulus/absolute value.There's never minus in error theory...All errors must add...

Daniel.

11. Jan 23, 2005 #10
    Whoops! Lemme try again...

[tex]\Delta n=\frac{e}{(24.98 \pm 1.05) k}\ {T}^{-2}\Delta T[/tex]

Is that right? Cheers for the patience :biggrin:

12. Jan 23, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks okay,though that [itex] \pm [/itex] in the denominator looks kinda weird...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?