Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick explanation for wormholes

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    i think this is kinda dumb but oh well

Can someone give me a detailed explianation. All i know is that they are holes thorugh space time that make a strait line not the shortest route, and they are only open for short times and mircoscopic.

Also could water hold them open?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    That's not a dumb question at all. I've actually been wondering her the same thing.
  4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd try John Cramer's science column from Analog, which you can find online at

for some basic discussion of wormholes The second question, at least, is easy to answer - water can't hold open wormholes, it takes "exotic matter".
  5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    Wormholes allow for "teleportation" from one point in spacetime to another. I put teleport in quotes because the points are adjacent (near eachother) in spacetime, even if they do not appear adjecent in space.

This is not the case, theoretically, and all discussion of wormholes is theoretical at this time.

Wormholes are generated by extreme gravitation. I can't see anyway for water to involved.
  6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
  7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    What would consitute "exotic matter"? I know this much:_: which is nothing on this subject. Which is why it interests me. :wink:
  8. Apr 19, 2005 #7
    Pervect, that was a cool link by the way. One thing that wasn't mentioned in the article was how a wormhole is created. How is a wormhole created?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?