1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick help needed on a simple problem (not simple4me)

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    quick help needed on a "simple" problem (not simple4me)

hey everyone i hope ur all doing great! ok tomorrows my math final and i have a slight dilemma on the review sheet and i would appreciate it a lot if someone helped me with it!

here it is:

ok so i first brought the 75 to the other side which gave me:

and now im stuck! i dont know if i should go back and rewrite z^4 as [tex]z^2z^2[/tex] or what??

any help is appreciated!! thanks!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

Hint: Make the substitution {x = z2} and solve the resulting quadratic equation with "x" for the variable (for the first step). Can you see what to do after that??

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  4. Mar 20, 2005 #3
    let me try and see if i understood what u meant! i'll be back in a bit! thanks btw
  5. Mar 20, 2005 #4
    ok so i took ur advice and if i understood it correctly this is what i did with it, however i checked my answer and it didn't check...

[tex]z^4+75=28x; x=z^2[/tex]
    [tex]x^2=28x-75, x=z^2[/tex] so [tex]x^2=z^4[/tex]

then i plugged this into the quadtratic and got this:

so i got this approx.:

but those answers dont work though... ??
  6. Mar 20, 2005 #5
    Should that really be [itex]x^2 - 28x - 75 =0[/itex]? I like positive [itex]75[/itex]s more...
  7. Mar 20, 2005 #6
    but does that make a difference when it comes to the quadtratic formula?
  8. Mar 20, 2005 #7

Science Advisor

YES!! The correct equation is given below. Can you see how to factor it??
    (Or you can also use the quadratic formula.)
    x2 - 28*x + 75 = 0

9. Mar 20, 2005 #8
    holy crap ur right!! when i brought the 28x over, i should've ADDED a negative -75 to both sides, which would make it +75 yep ur right!

brb!! :) :)
  10. Mar 20, 2005 #9
    x = 25 OR x = 3

is that right???
  11. Mar 20, 2005 #10

Science Advisor

Remember, solving the equation in "x" is just the first step. You then must place the "x" solutions back into your original {x = z2} substitution equation and solve for "z" (for both "x" solutions).
    x2 - 28*x + 75 = 0

12. Mar 20, 2005 #11
    yea i went back and did that but it wasn't that obvious for me at first :D

ok so in the solution of x=3, since z^2=x, that means that z=the square root of x, or in this case, the square root of 3.

and i plugged that value in the original formula of z^4+75=28z^2 and it worked.

and i did the same thing for the other value of x, which was 25 and did the same thing!

so basically, z=/sqrt(3) or z=5 (because the sqrt of 25=5)

thanks a lot man!

p.s. both of those are plus or minus btw!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?