Solve Kinetic Energy of Football Linemen

• Thread starter azila
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two football linemen, one weighing 105 kg and running at 2.55 m/s to the right, and the other weighing 130 kg and running at 2.80 m/s directly towards the first lineman. The task is to find the total kinetic energy of both linemen, which can be calculated using the equation K=1/2mv^2. After finding the kinetic energy of each lineman separately, the sum of the two values is found to be 880.52 J. However, the homework system may give a rounding error, so it is important to double check the calculations.
azila

Homework Statement

One 105 kg football lineman is running to the right at 2.55 m/s while another is 130 kg lineman is running directly toward him at 2.80 m/s.

What is the total kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

ok, so K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I found the kInetic energy for both of them and just added them together.
K1. K= (.50)(105kg)(2.55m/s)^2=341.38J

K2. K= (.50)(130kg)(-2.80m/s)^2=539.14J

So, I added them together and I got 880.52, which is not the answer and it keeps telling me that I have some sort of rounding error. Please help!1

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am reading the question correctly, you are being asked for the total kinetic energy of both linemen. If this is correct, then I agree with your answer. Try putting the numbers in the calculator again and this time don't round off at all if you did before. (Computer homework systems can be a pain sometimes.)

i copied the wrong number when I was doing the calculations.. Thanks though.. I know I hate this Mastering Physics...

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it related to football linemen?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of football linemen, kinetic energy refers to the energy that is transferred from the players' bodies to the ball when they collide during a play.

2. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a football lineman?

The kinetic energy of a football lineman can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the player and v is their velocity. This formula assumes that the player is moving in a straight line and not rotating.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a football lineman?

The kinetic energy of a football lineman is affected by their mass, velocity, and the angle at which they collide with another player or object. The surface of the field and any padding or equipment worn by the player may also affect the energy transfer during a collision.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a football lineman impact the game?

The kinetic energy of a football lineman is an important factor in the game as it determines the force of their impact on other players and objects. This can affect the outcome of a play, as well as the potential for injuries.

5. Are there any safety measures in place to reduce the kinetic energy of football linemen?

There are several safety measures in place to reduce the kinetic energy of football linemen, such as rules and regulations for tackling and blocking techniques, mandatory protective equipment, and penalties for dangerous plays. Additionally, advancements in technology have led to the development of safer playing surfaces and equipment to help absorb energy during collisions.