1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Help, Probability.

1. Jan 27, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have a quick question. What does the triangle (Δ) mean? I was asked to prove this, but since it's not told in the book and I just wana get an idea of what the Δ means.

Show that A Δ B^c = A^c Δ B

Also after trying to prove the two sides, I got stuck here...

For A Δ B^c =...=...=(A ∩ B^c) U (B^c ∩ A)
    and for A^c Δ B =...=...=(A^c ∩ B) U (B ∩ A^c)

how do they equal?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

[tex]A\Delta B = (A-B)\cup (B-A)[/tex] is the symmetric difference of the sets A and B and it contains only those points of A which are not in B and those points of B which are not in A.

Example: If A={1,2,7,9,11} and B={3,5,7,11,13}, then the set difference, A-B, of A and B is the part of A not in B, namely A-B={1,2,9}; likewise, the set difference, B-A, of B and A is the part of B not in A, namely
    B-A={3,5,13}, and hence

[tex]A\Delta B = (A-B)\cup (B-A)={1,2,9}\cup {3,5,13}[/tex]

and this is equivalent to what you have since [tex]A-B=A\cap B^c[/tex]

where [tex]B^c[/tex] is the complement of B in X (if X is the universal set containing A and B).
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    Yes that is also given in the question but I can't make them equal. Like using your example, it doesn't equal. So does that mean it doesn't equal?
    I'm stuck at the same place as I posted in my first post.
  5. Jan 28, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

Well, the two expressions you wrote aren't equal. (A ∩ B^c) U (B^c ∩ A) should really be (A ∩ B^c) U (B ∩ A^c), and you have a similar trouble in the second one.
  6. Jan 29, 2006 #5
    Could you please show me how you got that? I understand that it's correct but I just want to know how you got that.
  7. Jan 29, 2006 #6

Science Advisor

Just use what Benorin said to expand (A - B) U (B - A): A - B = A n B^c
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?