Quick help with NUCM of a disc

• Thread starter dsimpson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc
In summary, the conversation discusses a disc drive that accelerates for 1.66 seconds according to the formula alpha=alpha(i)sin(bt), where alpha(i) is 506 rad/s^2, b is 1.89, and the radius of the disc is 3.9cm. The question asks for the centripetal acceleration of the edge of the disc after it has finished accelerating. The formula for centripetal acceleration is a_c=-\omega^2 r or a_c=-\frac{v^2}{r}, where \omega and v represent the disc's angular velocity and linear velocity, respectively. To determine the disc's angular velocity after 1.66 seconds, the time can be plugged into
dsimpson

Homework Statement

a disc drive at rest is powered up and accelerates according to alpha=alpha(i)sin(bt). this lasts for 1.66 seconds after which it no longer accelerates. alpha(i)=506 rad/s^2 b=1.89 radius of disc=3.9cm. After the disc is done spinning up what is the centripetal acceleration of the edge of the disc.

I take this to mean the acceleration at the time of 1.66 because the answer isn't zero. Don't i just plug the time into my equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Centripetal acceleration is acceleration directed towards the center of circular motion. So this is usually

[tex]a_c=-\omega^2 r [/tex]

or
[tex]a_c=-\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex].

In either case you need to know how fast the disc is rotating (and its radius). So how would you determine how fast the disc is turning after 1.66 seconds?

Yes, you are correct. To find the centripetal acceleration at the time of 1.66 seconds, you can plug in the given values of alpha(i), b, and the radius of the disc into the equation for centripetal acceleration, which is a = v^2/r. However, since the velocity is not given in the problem, you will need to calculate it first using the given information about the acceleration. Once you have the velocity, you can then plug it into the equation to find the centripetal acceleration at 1.66 seconds.

What is a NUCM of a disc?

A NUCM (Non-Uniform Contact Model) is a mathematical model used to simulate the contact and interaction between two surfaces in a disc. It takes into account the non-uniformity of the disc's surface, such as variations in thickness or material properties, to provide a more accurate representation of the contact behavior.

Why is a NUCM necessary for disc analysis?

A NUCM is necessary because it more accurately reflects the real-world behavior of discs. Discs are not perfectly uniform and have variations in their surfaces, so using a NUCM allows for a more precise analysis of their performance and behavior.

How is a NUCM of a disc created?

A NUCM is created through a combination of experimental data and mathematical modeling. First, experimental data is gathered through various tests and measurements on the disc. Then, this data is used to develop a mathematical model that takes into account the non-uniformity of the disc's surface. This model is then validated and refined through further experiments and iterations.

What are the benefits of using a NUCM for disc analysis?

The use of a NUCM allows for a more accurate and realistic analysis of disc behavior. This can lead to improved designs and performance of discs, as well as a better understanding of their limitations and failure points. Additionally, using a NUCM can save time and resources by reducing the need for physical testing and trial-and-error methods.

Are there any limitations to using a NUCM for disc analysis?

While a NUCM can provide more accurate results, it is still a simplified model and may not fully capture all of the complexities of disc behavior. Additionally, creating a NUCM requires a significant amount of data and computational resources, which may not be readily available for all disc analyses.