Minimum Horsepower for Dragging a Box at a Given Speed

• Thread starter engineer2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the minimum horsepower required for a motor to drag a 310 kg box at a speed of 1.2 m/s on a level floor with a coefficient of friction of .45 is 1.84 hp. This can be calculated by using the formula P = Fv and finding the force of friction (1367 N) and converting it to horsepower.
engineer2010
Quick help with Power problem!

Homework Statement

What is the minimum horse power a motor must have to be able to drag a 310 kg box along a level floor at a speed of 1.2 m/s if the coefficient of friction is .45

Homework Equations

fg=mg - - - > (c of f) (fn)= Ff
P = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Ff to be 1367 N but I am unsure of how to find the force with the motor is putting on the box.. I know that the box is not acclerating. so i tried going -1367 +F= 0 and the putting that in the power formula but that did not give me the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you remembering to convert it from watts to horsepower?

ok i got it thanks.. i was thinking that there was another force in addition to the 1367. but i figured it out.

1. How do I troubleshoot a power problem?

First, check to make sure that the power source is connected properly and turned on. Then, try using a different power outlet or power source to see if the issue is with the current one. If the problem persists, it may be a faulty power cord or device and you may need to replace it.

2. Why is my device not turning on?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that the power source is connected and turned on. If it is, try resetting the device by unplugging it and plugging it back in. If it still does not turn on, the device may be experiencing a hardware or software issue and may need to be repaired or replaced.

3. How can I prevent power problems?

To prevent power problems, make sure to use surge protectors or power strips for all your devices. Additionally, avoid overloading outlets and power sources by using too many devices at once. Regularly check and replace any frayed or damaged power cords to prevent potential issues.

4. What should I do if my device is not charging?

If your device is not charging, first check to make sure that the charging cable is connected properly and secure. It may also be helpful to try using a different charging cable or power source. If the device still does not charge, there may be an issue with the battery or charging port and it may need to be replaced.

5. Can power problems damage my devices?

Yes, power problems can potentially damage your devices. Power surges, fluctuations, and outages can cause hardware or software issues that may require repair or replacement. It is important to use surge protectors and properly maintain your devices to prevent potential damage.