What is the density of free electrons in the metal?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between a metallic wire's diameter and the current and drift velocity of free electrons within it. It was determined that the current can be calculated using the formula I = nqva, where n is the density of free electrons, q is the charge on a charge carrier, and a is the cross-sectional area of the wire. The conversation also provided a hint to keep in mind the units when solving the problem.
kyang002
A metallic wire has a diameter of 4.12 mm. When the current in the wire is 8 A, the drift velocity is 5.4*10^-5 m/s.

What is the density of free electrons in the metal?

I have considered a wire of cross-sectional area A, with current I. V is the drift velocity of the free charges in the conductor and n is the number of charged particles per unit volume. Then the current is given by I = nqva, where q is the magnitude of the charge on a charge carrier.

I = 8
n = density??
A = (2.06)^2 * 3.14
v = 5.4 x 10^-5
q = ??

Can someone help me out on the answer for this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pay attention with the units... :grumpy:
HINT:
[tex] |\vec{j}|=\frac{I}{S}= n |q_{el.}| |\vec{v}_{drift}| [/tex]

Daniel.

The density of free electrons in a metal can be calculated using the formula n = I/(qAv), where I is the current, q is the magnitude of the charge on a charge carrier, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and v is the drift velocity of the free electrons.

Based on the given information, we can plug in the values and solve for n:

n = (8 A)/(q * (4.12 mm)^2 * π * (5.4 x 10^-5 m/s))

To solve for q, we can use the known relationship between current and drift velocity: I = nev, where e is the charge of an electron.

Rearranging this equation, we get q = I/(nev). Plugging in the given values, we get:

q = (8 A)/(n * (5.4 x 10^-5 m/s))

Now we can substitute this value for q into our original equation for n:

n = (8 A)/((8 A)/(n * (5.4 x 10^-5 m/s)) * (4.12 mm)^2 * π * (5.4 x 10^-5 m/s))

Simplifying, we get:

n = 1.46 x 10^29 electrons/m^3

Therefore, the density of free electrons in the metal is approximately 1.46 x 10^29 electrons per cubic meter.

1. What is the definition of density?

Density is a measure of the amount of mass present in a given volume of a substance. It is typically expressed as mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How does density relate to the number of free electrons in a metal?

In metals, the density is directly related to the number of free electrons present. This is because the free electrons contribute to the overall mass of the metal, thus increasing the density.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the density of free electrons in a metal?

The density of free electrons in a metal is typically measured in units of electrons per cubic meter (e/m3) or electrons per cubic centimeter (e/cm3).

4. How does the density of free electrons in a metal affect its properties?

The density of free electrons in a metal can affect its properties in various ways. For example, it can impact the metal's electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and even its strength and ductility. Metals with a higher density of free electrons tend to have better electrical and thermal conductivity.

5. Can the density of free electrons in a metal be changed?

Yes, the density of free electrons in a metal can be changed by altering its temperature, pressure, or by introducing impurities. For example, heating a metal can increase its density of free electrons, while adding impurities can decrease it.