Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick, i need a genius

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    I've got to buy a glass rose, but I don't have time to have it shipped. What well know store carries glass roses? If the store has a location in Mesa, Arizona you get bonus points.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Call the hoity-toity gift shops around Mesa. Glass flowers have been popular for many years, and with cheap foreign imports available, a glass rose shouldn't break the bank, unless it is VERY realistic.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    Well, if I'm not mistaken the Dollar Tree has some glass roses...and you might have one near you :smile:

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4
    Why would you want a glass rose?

6. Sep 1, 2008 #5
    I don't, my girlfriend's son wants to give one to his girlfriend. and of course her birthday is today.

7. Sep 1, 2008 #6
    Why cant he buy real roses?

8. Sep 1, 2008 #7
    real roses die, his love never will?

9. Sep 1, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh oh, methinks tribdog just remembered something like his girlfriend's birthday or an anniversary. :biggrin:

Do you have any sort of gift shops in the mall? Some of those have glass roses. I'm pretty sure I've seen things like that in stores here in Morgantown, so if we have things like that in our dinky stores, surely you have a store there that carries them. Do you have any sort of craft store/gallery there that carries glass stuff? I think I've seen them in stores that carry touristy trinket type things. Or maybe Hallmark stores?

Any reason to get a glass rose instead of a real one? Though, actually, don't ignore a florist...they just might carry them.

If you can't find it locally, don't forget the option to pay extra for overnight shipping if it's that important and you can find what you want online.

10. Sep 1, 2008 #9
    glass rose breaks?
    Plastic rose or rose picture looks better.

11. Sep 1, 2008 #10
    I just sent them to the mall to look around.

12. Sep 1, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, sure, provide all the explanation while I'm typing my reply. :rolleyes:

Tell him to get a real flower rather than a glass one. Yes, we all know that those first loves don't last as long as he's hoping, but of course you can't explain that to him because the poor kid will have to learn it for himself just like every other kid does. Instead, I suggest trying to talk him into presenting it in a pretty little vase so rather than the flower lasting, the vase does. If he stays with the girl, she'll then have the vase for flowers he buys her in the future, and a vase is always pretty to display even if it's empty. Including the vase will make it more special than just a single flower that will die.

13. Sep 1, 2008 #12
    Then he should make her pregnant. That love will last 18 years, 18 years
    And on her 18th birthday he found out it wasn't his -Kayne West.

14. Sep 1, 2008 #13
    Looking at the title of this thread, I think it's quite amazing how many responds it got. You people surely don't suffer from low self-esteem ! :biggrin:

15. Sep 1, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

You've got to consider the source.

16. Sep 1, 2008 #15
    oh, you'll never suffer for a lack of self proclaimed geniuses around here.

17. Sep 1, 2008 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hmmmm, "my love for you is as brittle and temporary as this glass flower that can shatter and break at any moment".

I think he needs to be urged towards something a little sturdier if a symbol for longevity is what he's after.

18. Sep 1, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Plastic flower! That's the ticket! A plastic flower with long-lasting Chinese lead-based paint.

19. Sep 1, 2008 #18
    I asked why he wanted a glass rose and he said because he needs to get an orange one and a green one, which are her favorite colors.

20. Sep 1, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you told him yet that florists usually have roses in many colors? They might not have a green one at a moment's notice, but a peach colored one would be close enough to orange, and could probably be arranged with something else green...florists usually have lots of other green things. :uhh:

Of course, as the day gets later, he may be putting a granny smith apple and an orange on sticks and handing them to her. :biggrin:

21. Sep 1, 2008 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know that white carnations set in a glass of green food coloring will turn green. I don't know how quickly or evenly roses would pick up the color.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?