Quick induced emf question (exam tomorrow)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced EMF and the direction of the induced current in a moving rod within a magnetic field. The conversation includes a diagram and equations to illustrate the concept, and the speaker struggles with understanding the direction of the induced EMF and the corresponding voltage drop across a resistor. They also discuss the use of Lenz's law in determining the direction of the induced current.
jegues

Homework Statement

Are these two things not contradicting?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached.

Aren't these contradicting one another?

They need a negative sign in there, correct?

Attachments

• Contradiction.JPG
    Contradiction.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about which way the induced current would flow.

Doc Al said:
Think about which way the induced current would flow.

From positive to negative?

(N to M)

Things still aren't clear, can you explain it as bluntly as possible?

How's this. The induced field points from M to N. Thus the induced current would flow from M to N. You'd get the same effect by replacing the induced EMF with a voltage source oriented as shown in the diagram: a battery with that orientation would move current from M to N.

Make sense?

Doc Al said:
How's this. The induced field points from M to N. Thus the induced current would flow from M to N. You'd get the same effect by replacing the induced EMF with a voltage source oriented as shown in the diagram: a battery with that orientation would move current from M to N.

Make sense?

Can you help me make sense of this question of a previous year exam?

See figure attached.

Our text defines,

[tex]e_{ind} = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

The red box tells me that eind = -v(t),

while the blue box tells me that,

eind = v(t)

Where is the missing negative sign or what am I missing?

Attachments

• ContradictionTest.JPG
    ContradictionTest.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 453
jegues said:
Can you help me make sense of this question of a previous year exam?

See figure attached.
Can you post the full problem (the previous page), so I can understand the full context.

Our text defines,

[tex]e_{ind} = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]
That minus sign indicates that the induced EMF opposes the change in flux.

Doc Al said:
Can you post the full problem (the previous page), so I can understand the full context.

That minus sign indicates that the induced EMF opposes the change in flux.

Here you are, the full solution and only the problem statement are in the 2 figures attached to this post.

Your next reply will be the last reply I am likely to see before my exam, so if you could make it as clear as you possibly can it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

EDIT:

What I had put in the red box tells me that,

[tex]e_{ind} = -\frac{d\psi}{dt} = -v(t)[/tex]

[tex]e_{ind} = -v(t)[/tex]

and what's in the blue box tells me that,

[tex]e_{ind} = \oint_{l} (\vec{v} \times \vec{B}) \cdot \vec{dl} = v(t)[/tex]

[tex]e_{ind} = v(t)[/tex]

which is contradictory.

What am I mixing up?

Attachments

• ProblemStatement.JPG
    ProblemStatement.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 500
  • Entirething.JPG
    Entirething.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 433
I'm afraid I'm not seeing the issue that disturbs you. There are two ways of getting the voltage drop across the resistor. Each gives the same answer.

The first way is using Faraday's law. Since the flux through the loop is increasing into the page as the rod moves counterclockwise, the induced EMF must be counterclockwise to oppose it. Thus the voltage drop across the resistor has the sign indicated in the diagram.

The second way is to treat the moving rod using motional EMF. The magnetic force on the (positive) charge carriers in the rod would be towards the center, thus the induced EMF in the rod would again drive a counterclockwise current through the loop. The voltage drop across the resistor is the same as before.

jegues said:
What I had put in the red box tells me that,

[tex]e_{ind} = -\frac{d\psi}{dt} = -v(t)[/tex]

[tex]e_{ind} = -v(t)[/tex]
I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of that minus sign in Faraday's law. Don't apply it mechanically. Instead, figure out which way the flux is increasing, then use that to determine which way the induced EMF must be directed to oppose that changing flux.

Doc Al said:
I'm afraid I'm not seeing the issue that disturbs you. There are two ways of getting the voltage drop across the resistor. Each gives the same answer.

The first way is using Faraday's law. Since the flux through the loop is increasing into the page as the rod moves counterclockwise, the induced EMF must be counterclockwise to oppose it. Thus the voltage drop across the resistor has the sign indicated in the diagram.

The second way is to treat the moving rod using motional EMF. The magnetic force on the (positive) charge carriers in the rod would be towards the center, thus the induced EMF in the rod would again drive a counterclockwise current through the loop. The voltage drop across the resistor is the same as before.

The flux is increasing into the page as the the rod moves.

By Lenz' law a current will be induced to oppose this flux.

The induced current will flow in a counterclockwise fashion.

We can think of this induced current as flowing out of a voltage source know as eind, where the induced current flows out of the positive terminal of the voltage source.

KVL gives the following,

eind = -v(t).

From which I deduce,

[tex]v(t) = \frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

If we are to use motional emf,

from the definition,

[tex]e_{ind} = \oint_{l} (\vec{v} \times \vec{B}) \cdot \vec{dl}[/tex]

In the first case I get a positive, and the second case a negative.

Doc Al said:
I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of that minus sign in Faraday's law. Don't apply it mechanically. Instead, figure out which way the flux is increasing, then use that to determine which way the induced EMF must be directed to oppose that changing flux.

I can get that every time, I know I am using and understanding Lenz Law correctly, it's just getting the sign of a specific voltage across a specific resistor!

I always mix the sign up!

Is there a way I can always get the sign either using Faradays law or motional emf by only thinking about Lenz Law?

Answer this: Which way does the induced current flow through the resistor?

No matter how you look at it, the induced current flows across the resistor in the +x direction.

Doc Al said:
Answer this: Which way does the induced current flow through the resistor?

No matter how you look at it, the induced current flows across the resistor in the +x direction.

The induced current will flow in a counterclockwise direction, into the + terminal of the resistor.

Is this what tells me that the voltage must be positive?

Here is an example where my reasoning with Lenz Law fails me.

See figure attached.

The flux will flow in the positive z direction.

Thus if i(t) is increasing, the flux is increasing in the z direction.

The induced current in the loop will be such to oppose this increasing flux.

For this, the induced current would flow clockwise if you were looking down onto the loop in the xy plane.

This would leave me to believe that v(t) is negative! (induced current entering the negative terminal of the resistor)

The answer says it should be positive!

Attachments

• LenzLawFail.JPG
    LenzLawFail.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 427
jegues said:
The induced current will flow in a counterclockwise direction, into the + terminal of the resistor.

Is this what tells me that the voltage must be positive?
Yes. The voltage drop is always opposite to the current flow: Current always flows from high to low voltage across the resistor. (Imagine that the rotating rod has a battery--a voltage generator equal to the EMF--which points inward. Then treat the resulting circuit like any other. The voltage drop across the resistor must point opposite to that of the battery if you view them as being in series.)

Make sense?

Doc Al said:
Yes. The voltage drop is always opposite to the current flow: Current always flows from high to low voltage across the resistor. (Imagine that the rotating rod has a battery--a voltage generator equal to the EMF--which points inward. Then treat the resulting circuit like any other. The voltage drop across the resistor must point opposite to that of the battery if you view them as being in series.)

Make sense?

This example makes sense.

Can you clarify where I am wrong in my reasoning for the 2nd example I've posted? (Solenoid with a square loop around it)

I'm fairly certain my logic with Lenz Law is correct.

jegues said:
Here is an example where my reasoning with Lenz Law fails me.

See figure attached.

The flux will flow in the positive z direction.

Thus if i(t) is increasing, the flux is increasing in the z direction.

The induced current in the loop will be such to oppose this increasing flux.

For this, the induced current would flow clockwise if you were looking down onto the loop in the xy plane.

This would leave me to believe that v(t) is negative! (induced current entering the negative terminal of the resistor)

The answer says it should be positive!
I agree with your reasoning. The induced EMF would be clockwise and thus the voltage drop across the resistor (with respect to the indicated signs) would be negative.

Doc Al said:
I agree with your reasoning. The induced EMF would be clockwise and thus the voltage drop across the resistor (with respect to the indicated signs) would be negative.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

One mistake can cause so much confusion!

1. What is induced emf?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage that is created when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through a conductor.

2. How is induced emf calculated?

Induced emf is calculated by multiplying the rate of change of magnetic flux by the number of turns in the conductor. It can also be calculated by multiplying the magnetic flux density by the area of the loop and the sine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. What is the difference between quick and slow induced emf?

Quick induced emf occurs when there is a sudden change in the magnetic field, while slow induced emf occurs when there is a gradual change in the magnetic field. Quick induced emf results in a larger voltage, while slow induced emf results in a smaller voltage.

4. How is Lenz's law related to induced emf?

Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced emf in a circuit will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that created it. This means that induced emf will always try to maintain the status quo and resist any changes in the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced emf?

Induced emf is used in many everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in renewable energy sources like wind turbines and hydroelectric dams. It is also the basis for technologies like wireless charging and electromagnetic induction stovetops.