• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Quick Inequality Question

• Thread starter azdang
  • Start date
I first accidentally posted this in Calculus & Beyond since it is for a 700-level class, but I'm realizing now that it's pretty basic, and it should probably go here:

I'm working on a problem in which I have to find a range for r. I have an upper bound on it, but I can't seem to get the lower bound.

Here is the inequality to start with:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]r - r3 + [tex]\lambda[/tex] < 0

Eventually, I get it down to:
[tex]\lambda[/tex] < [tex]\frac{r^3}{r+1}[/tex]

However, I need r by itself on one side, and I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I actually could do or am I stuck?

Another note: r>0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]>0. Thanks!

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I first accidentally posted this in Calculus & Beyond since it is for a 700-level class, but I'm realizing now that it's pretty basic, and it should probably go here:

I'm working on a problem in which I have to find a range for r. I have an upper bound on it, but I can't seem to get the lower bound.

Here is the inequality to start with:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]r - r3 + [tex]\lambda[/tex] < 0

Eventually, I get it down to:
[tex]\lambda[/tex] < [tex]\frac{r^3}{r+1}[/tex]

However, I need r by itself on one side, and I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I actually could do or am I stuck?

Another note: r>0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]>0. Thanks!
You can't in any simple way. You can use the fact that points where one side is equal separate "<" from ">". However you still need to solve [itex]r^3- \lamba r- \lambda= 0[/itex]. There is a "cubic formula" but it is very complicated.
http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

Okay, yeah, I've worked with the cubic formula in undergrad, but I very highly doubt we're expected to be using it here. I'll have to check with my teacher tomorrow, thanks so much!