1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Inequality Question

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    I first accidentally posted this in Calculus & Beyond since it is for a 700-level class, but I'm realizing now that it's pretty basic, and it should probably go here:

I'm working on a problem in which I have to find a range for r. I have an upper bound on it, but I can't seem to get the lower bound.

Here is the inequality to start with:
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]r - r3 + [tex]\lambda[/tex] < 0

Eventually, I get it down to:
    [tex]\lambda[/tex] < [tex]\frac{r^3}{r+1}[/tex]

However, I need r by itself on one side, and I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I actually could do or am I stuck?

Another note: r>0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]>0. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't in any simple way. You can use the fact that points where one side is equal separate "<" from ">". However you still need to solve [itex]r^3- \lamba r- \lambda= 0[/itex]. There is a "cubic formula" but it is very complicated.
    http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    Okay, yeah, I've worked with the cubic formula in undergrad, but I very highly doubt we're expected to be using it here. I'll have to check with my teacher tomorrow, thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook