Finding Range for r in Inequality: Quick Question on Solving for Lower Bound

• Thread starter azdang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the student is trying to find a range for a variable r, but is having trouble getting a lower bound. They eventually get it down to a value where lambda is less than r^3. However, they need r by itself and do not know how to get it. There is a cubic formula that could be used, but it is complicated.
azdang
I first accidentally posted this in Calculus & Beyond since it is for a 700-level class, but I'm realizing now that it's pretty basic, and it should probably go here:

I'm working on a problem in which I have to find a range for r. I have an upper bound on it, but I can't seem to get the lower bound.

Here is the inequality to start with:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]r - r3 + [tex]\lambda[/tex] < 0

Eventually, I get it down to:
[tex]\lambda[/tex] < [tex]\frac{r^3}{r+1}[/tex]

However, I need r by itself on one side, and I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I actually could do or am I stuck?

Another note: r>0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]>0. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
azdang said:
I first accidentally posted this in Calculus & Beyond since it is for a 700-level class, but I'm realizing now that it's pretty basic, and it should probably go here:

I'm working on a problem in which I have to find a range for r. I have an upper bound on it, but I can't seem to get the lower bound.

Here is the inequality to start with:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]r - r3 + [tex]\lambda[/tex] < 0

Eventually, I get it down to:
[tex]\lambda[/tex] < [tex]\frac{r^3}{r+1}[/tex]

However, I need r by itself on one side, and I have no idea what to do. Is there anything I actually could do or am I stuck?

Another note: r>0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]>0. Thanks!
You can't in any simple way. You can use the fact that points where one side is equal separate "<" from ">". However you still need to solve [itex]r^3- \lamba r- \lambda= 0[/itex]. There is a "cubic formula" but it is very complicated.
http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

Okay, yeah, I've worked with the cubic formula in undergrad, but I very highly doubt we're expected to be using it here. I'll have to check with my teacher tomorrow, thanks so much!

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities that are not equal. It can be represented using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥.

2. How is an inequality different from an equation?

An inequality and an equation both involve mathematical expressions and symbols, but an inequality compares two quantities while an equation states that two quantities are equal.

3. What is the solution to an inequality?

The solution to an inequality is the range of values that make the inequality true. This can be represented on a number line or with inequality symbols.

4. Can an inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, an inequality can have infinitely many solutions. This is because there are many values that can satisfy the inequality.

5. How can I graph an inequality?

To graph an inequality, you can first plot the boundary line (using an equals sign) and then determine which side of the line represents the solution. If the boundary line is solid, the line itself is included in the solution. If the boundary line is dashed, the line itself is not included in the solution.