1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick integral question

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    what is the quick way of doing single integrals of the form:

*integral* (sinx)^n (cosx)^m dx

where n and m are just integers. These kind of integrals come up all the time in vector calculus and they take me ages to do. Is there a general method of doing them or a few common integrals i could learn? I end up having to apply about 3 trig identites and then sorting out the mess of resulting sinxs, cosx, cos2x etc

an eg would be

*integral* cosx (sinx)^2 dx

I would do this by using (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1
    then cos^2= 1/2(1 +cos2A)
    then cosCcosD=1/2(cos(C+D) + cos(C-D))

Which takes about a side and a half of a4. There must be a simpler way (substitutions, change of variables?)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    Most tables of integrals have a reduction formula for those kinds of integrals. But that's not exactly time saving either.

4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    This particular one is easy to do (using f'(x)dx=df(x) and substitution without a new named variable):
    [tex]\int \sin^n x \cos x dx = \int \sin^n x d(\sin x) = \frac1{n+1}\sin^{n+1}(x)[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    sorry im not sure i understand that. what is f'(x)dx=df(x)? (ive probably done that type of integration before but not with that name or notation. is that 'd' as in 'dx' or just a constant) and im not sure what substitution "without a new named variable means" either :confused:

your method definately looks quicker and more sensible

6. Apr 13, 2007 #5
    By df(x) he means the differential of f, which is equal to f'(x)dx

7. Apr 13, 2007 #6
    It's the same as integration by substitution with u=sin(x). Work it out, and you'll see. I keep calling it sin(x) rather than u though, since I have to get back to it eventually.

8. Apr 13, 2007 #7
    yeh, okay. and when you change the dx to dt you get 1/cosx which cancels the one in the integrand. very clever

thankyou Eighty , much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?