1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Integration Question w/ e

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    Quick Integration Question w/ "e"

Hey folks,

On my calc homework tonight, I have to solve the integral [tex]\int (1/e^z) dz[/tex] as part of my differential equation. Anywho, I thought the answer to that was [tex]ln (e^z) = z[/tex] but my TI-89 claims that it's really [tex]-e^-z[/tex].

Could someone please tell me which of us is correct, and more importantly, why? I was under the impression that the antiderivative of e was simply itself if there was no inner function (and since z is just a variable, I don't think there is).

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm a little confused by your question but:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^z}dz = \int e^{-z} dz = -e^{-z} + \mathcal{C}[/tex]
  4. May 16, 2005 #3
    Oh, wow. I didn't even think of it like that, thank's a lot! Yeah, the question does seem odd now that I know the answer.
  5. May 16, 2005 #4
    Your calc. was right this time, your answer was incorrect. You should remember that you can differentiate to check and [tex]D_x(ln(e^z))[/tex] is just [tex]1[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?