1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick(ish) homework help

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    Need to solve the following equation for x

x^3 + (2x10^5)x^2 + 250x - (5.08x10^-3) = 0

I've tried factoring, and quickly found the quadratic formula to be a dead end. Answer has to be a real number. I just need to know how to do it, not necessarily the answer. Thanks all!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
  4. Sep 12, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Inasmuch as your equation is a cubic (third-degree polynomial), the quadratic formula doesn't apply. It can be used only on quadratic (second-degree) equations. IOW, equations of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0
    There is a formula that can be used to solve cubic equations, that was developed sometime in the 14th century or so by an Italian mathematician. I don't remember the name of the algorithm, but if you searched Wikipedia you might be able to find it.

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use a numerical method to find the root, please? The root is very likely not rational and the analytic method will paralyze you with complications, all grace to Cardano. Try bisection first. You can do it on a calculator.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook