1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick limits Q

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

Can you tell me if the method of evaluating this limit is right or wrong please?

The limit is:
    [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0\\y\rightarrow 0\\z\rightarrow 0}} f(x,y)=\frac{x^2+y^2-z^2}{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

I evaluate it along the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis...
    [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0\\y=0\\z=0}} f(x,y)=\frac{x^2+y^2-z^2}{x^2+y^2+z^2}=\frac{x^2}{x^2}=1[/tex]
    and similarly the limit along the y-axis is 1, and the limit along the z-axis is -1.

Since the limits do not equal, the limit DNE.

Is this right or is this wrong? Thank you for the help!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's correct.

4. Oct 6, 2004 #3
    Thank you for the help! =D

5. Oct 6, 2004 #4
    i thought you had to use polar co ordinates or the epsilon way of proving the limit rather than merely holding 2 constant and plugging one in?

6. Oct 6, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He's not trying to prove the limit exists... he's proving it doesn't exist.

7. Oct 6, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That is roughly what you need to do in order to prove that the limit DOES exist.
    (In general, damn hard)
    However, if you can show that along two different paths towards your point, the limiting value is different, then you have proven the limit CANNOT exist.
    (Remember, the limit must be the same along every imaginable path, in order to exist!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?