Quick Linear Algebra Proof: Why is A^T nonsingular if A is nonsingular?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if A is nonsingular, then A^T is also nonsingular and (A^T)^(-1) equals (A^(-1))^T. The attempt at a solution involves multiplying both sides by B^T and noticing that A^T*(A^(-1))^T must equal I. Further examination and use of relevant equations leads to the solution.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Prove that if A is nonsingular then A^T is nonsingular and

(A^T)^(-1) = (A^(-1))^T

Homework Equations

(AB)^T = (B^T)(A^T)

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: Multiply both sides by B^T

B^T * (A^T)^(-1) = B^T * (A^(-1))^T

B^T * (A^T)^(-1) = (A^(-1)*B)^T

(A^(-1)*B)^T = (A^(-1)*B)^T

I feel that my last step is wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I was also noticing that if I take just the right side of the equation and do this

A^T*(A^(-1))^T = (A^(-1)*A)^T

= I^T = I

which suggests that the left side has to equal I if I multiply it by A^T as well so

A^T*(A^T)^(-1) = I

which makes sense just looking at it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start from A*A^(-1)=I. Now take the transpose of both sides and use your relevant equation. Stare at it for a while and figure out what it means.

What is a Quick Linear Algebra Proof?

A Quick Linear Algebra Proof is a mathematical process that uses the principles of linear algebra to prove a statement or theorem in a concise and efficient manner.

What is the purpose of a Quick Linear Algebra Proof?

The purpose of a Quick Linear Algebra Proof is to provide a logical and mathematical justification for a statement or theorem, using the tools and techniques of linear algebra.

What are the key components of a Quick Linear Algebra Proof?

The key components of a Quick Linear Algebra Proof typically include defining the problem, stating the hypothesis, providing a clear and logical argument, and using relevant theorems and properties to arrive at a conclusion.

How is a Quick Linear Algebra Proof different from a traditional proof?

A Quick Linear Algebra Proof differs from a traditional proof in that it focuses specifically on using techniques from linear algebra to prove a statement or theorem, while a traditional proof may use a variety of mathematical concepts and methods.

What are some tips for writing a successful Quick Linear Algebra Proof?

Some tips for writing a successful Quick Linear Algebra Proof include understanding the problem and any relevant theorems, clearly defining and organizing your steps, and checking for completeness and correctness in your argument.