Transforming Linear Algebra Equations: Solving for Unknown Parameters

In summary, the given equation \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) can be rewritten as an implicit equation y = -x+2 by eliminating the parameter \alpha. This can be done by taking the equations x = 2 - \alpha and y = \alpha and eliminating \alpha. Another approach is to use a matrix A such that A \vec{v} = 0 to kill off the \vec{v} term, resulting in
courtrigrad
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex].How did you get rid of the parameter [tex] \alpha [/tex] to transform it into an equation?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
could you rephrase the question please?

transform what into an equation?

I know that [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex] is equivalent to [tex] y = -x+2 [/tex]. How do we get this? The first matrix, I know, is the point (2,0). The second matrix is a direction vector, but I don't know where to go from there.

Ah, I see. He's starting with a parametric equation for a line:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x \\ y\end{array}\right) =
\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex]

and he wants to know how to turn it into an implicit form. (i.e. the solutions to an equation)

There's a simple approach that works: just take the equations

[tex]x = 2 - \alpha[/tex]

[tex]y = \alpha[/tex]

and eliminate the variable [itex]\alpha[/itex].

There's a highbrow approach too, that (IMHO) is a good example to learn.

To simplify things, let me write the original equation as:

[tex]\vec{z} = \vec{b} + \alpha \vec{v}[/tex]

In order to get rid of [itex]\alpha[/itex], you need to multiply by something that kills off [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]: you want a good matrix [itex]A[/itex] such that [itex]A \vec{v} = 0[/itex]. Well, that's just a left-nullspace matrix computation! (i.e. the columns of [itex]A^T[/itex] are a basis for the nullspace of [itex]\vec{v}^T[/itex])

In this case, we get something like

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And so the desired equation is

[tex]A \vec{z} = A \vec{b}[/tex]

which you can check reduces to [itex]x + y = 2[/itex].

Last edited:
thank you Hurkyl.

P.S. why did I kill off [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] by using a matrix such that [itex]A\vec{v} = 0[/itex], rather than using a matrix such that [itex]\vec{v}A = 0[/itex]?

because multiplication of matrices is not commutative?

Noncommutativity is why the choice matters.

I can kill off the [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] term by finding a matrix [itex]A[/itex] such that [itex]\vec{v}A = 0[/itex], and then getting the equation

[tex]\vec{z} A = \vec{b} A[/itex]

but for this particular problem, doing this is bad... whereas doing it the other way is good. Can you tell why?

Edit: bleh, the full answer isn't as straightforward as I thought. Sorry about that. :frown: It's easy to see why the method in this post won't work (A is degenerate: it has zero columns), but I'm too tired to explain why multiplying on the left works, and what to do in the more general case of something like:

[tex]Z = B + \alpha M[/tex]

where Z, B, and M are all mxn matrices, rather than just vectors.

Last edited:

1) What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

2) Why is it important to solve for unknown parameters in linear algebra equations?

Solving for unknown parameters in linear algebra equations allows us to find the values of variables that satisfy the given equations. This is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where equations with multiple variables are used to model real-world phenomena.

3) What is the process for solving for unknown parameters in linear algebra equations?

The process for solving for unknown parameters in linear algebra equations involves using various techniques such as substitution, elimination, and matrix operations to manipulate the equations and isolate the variables. This results in a unique solution or a set of solutions that satisfy the equations.

4) Can linear algebra equations with unknown parameters have more than one solution?

Yes, depending on the number of equations and variables involved, a linear algebra equation with unknown parameters can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This is determined by the consistency and independence of the equations.

5) How is solving for unknown parameters in linear algebra equations applied in real life?

Solving for unknown parameters in linear algebra equations is used in various fields such as computer graphics, machine learning, and data analysis. It allows us to make predictions, solve optimization problems, and understand complex systems by representing them in a mathematical framework.