1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Linear Algebra Question

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex].

How did you get rid of the parameter [tex] \alpha [/tex] to transform it into an equation?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

could you rephrase the question plz?

transform what into an equation?

4. Oct 12, 2006 #3
    I know that [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex] is equivalent to [tex] y = -x+2 [/tex]. How do we get this? The first matrix, I know, is the point (2,0). The second matrix is a direction vector, but I dont know where to go from there.

5. Oct 12, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, I see. He's starting with a parametric equation for a line:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x \\ y\end{array}\right) =
    \left(\begin{array}{cc} 2-\alpha\\\alpha \end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\\0\end{array}\right) +\alpha\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex]

and he wants to know how to turn it into an implicit form. (i.e. the solutions to an equation)

There's a simple approach that works: just take the equations

[tex]x = 2 - \alpha[/tex]

[tex]y = \alpha[/tex]

and eliminate the variable [itex]\alpha[/itex].

There's a highbrow approach too, that (IMHO) is a good example to learn.

To simplify things, let me write the original equation as:

[tex]\vec{z} = \vec{b} + \alpha \vec{v}[/tex]

In order to get rid of [itex]\alpha[/itex], you need to multiply by something that kills off [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]: you want a good matrix [itex]A[/itex] such that [itex]A \vec{v} = 0[/itex]. Well, that's just a left-nullspace matrix computation! (i.e. the columns of [itex]A^T[/itex] are a basis for the nullspace of [itex]\vec{v}^T[/itex])

In this case, we get something like

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And so the desired equation is

[tex]A \vec{z} = A \vec{b}[/tex]

which you can check reduces to [itex]x + y = 2[/itex].

6. Oct 12, 2006 #5
    thank you Hurkyl.

7. Oct 12, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

P.S. why did I kill off [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] by using a matrix such that [itex]A\vec{v} = 0[/itex], rather than using a matrix such that [itex]\vec{v}A = 0[/itex]?

8. Oct 12, 2006 #7
    because multiplication of matrices is not commutative?

9. Oct 12, 2006 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Noncommutativity is why the choice matters.

I can kill off the [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] term by finding a matrix [itex]A[/itex] such that [itex]\vec{v}A = 0[/itex], and then getting the equation

[tex]\vec{z} A = \vec{b} A[/itex]

but for this particular problem, doing this is bad... whereas doing it the other way is good. Can you tell why?

Edit: bleh, the full answer isn't as straightforward as I thought. Sorry about that. :frown: It's easy to see why the method in this post won't work (A is degenerate: it has zero columns), but I'm too tired to explain why multiplying on the left works, and what to do in the more general case of something like:

[tex]Z = B + \alpha M[/tex]

where Z, B, and M are all mxn matrices, rather than just vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?